The Sweet Hereafter pt.1

This morning at breakfast my parents and Polly were all acting like everything was normal. They were acting like everything that happened since summer never happened. Betty and I sat next to each other watching in disgust. After everything we've been through there's no way we can become like them. Our town isn't the small and preppy town it used to be. It was now dark, gloomy and full of unrevealed secrets.

I couldn't help it but the whole time I was watching my family alongside my sister I kept digging my nails in the palm of my hands. It seemed to be the only solution to things nowadays. I couldn't take it anymore. Thankfully Archie has came to our door and offered to walk Betty and I to school. Our parents weren't very happy of the early leave but we didn't care.

During the way there Archie could tell my sister and I were acting a bit off. "What's wrong guys? You seem...down."

"Well Archie, our sisters back home, our dad's back home, our mom's back at the register. They all just keep...smiling and talking about the Jubilee." Betty started to spill out the reason why we were like this.

"Isn't that a good thing?" He furrowed his eyebrows at her.

"No. No, it's horrible." I shook my head, "That's exactly what we were doing before. Pretending to be...normal and perfect when really we're like...like a Greek suburban tragedy."

Archie chuckled at my dark humour making Betty and I give him a disappointed look. As much as I wanted this all to be a joke, it was far from it.

"Okay, I'm sorry." He apologized before we reached the doors of Riverdale High.

Luckily, our lockers were alongside each other's so we quickly placed our bags inside before an announcement came on the speakers.

"May I have Archie Andrews, Bella and Betty Cooper in the principals office, immediately."

"Great, what does Weatherbee want now?" I mumbled to them before slamming my locker shut.

As we reached the doorway of Weatherbee's office we see Mayor McCoy in there as well making us even more nervous to why we were called here.

"Mr. Andrews, and both Cooper women, take a seat." Principal Weatherbee motioned to the chairs in front of him.

We obeyed and sat down. Mayor McCoy then turned her attention to the three of us. "Archie, Bella, Betty. Id like to feature the three of you at the Jubilee. As you know it's our seventy-fifth anniversary of our towns founding and also a kickoff for the next seventy-five years and who better represents the future of Riverdale than the young people who working with Sheriff Keller and my office helped bring peace and justice to our streets once more."

Betty furrowed her eyebrows, "But that's not exactly what happened."

"Let the Mayor finish." Principal Weatherbee said giving us a blank expression.

"Archie," McCoy smiled at the redhead next to me. "The pussycats will be performing at the Jubilee and I would love for you to join them." She then turned to smile at my sister and I. "Betty and Bella. I think it's important that we hear from Riverdale's best and brightest. What do you say, the three of you?"

We all looked at each other unsure of what to say. I mean, why us? What about Kevin, Veronica or...

"What about Jughead?" Archie questioned as if reading the last sentence from my mind.

Mayor McCoy sighed in frustration trying to find a way out of this topic. "I like Jughead and he's welcome to attend the Jubilee, of course. But his father is in jail and I think it might be...confusing to have him up on the Jubilee stage."