(4)

·Recap·

But on my own, I admit I'd be killed within a few minutes. Most of my kind isn't around anymore, maybe I'm the only one.

·

·Autumn, 2014·

               "I'm defiantly not mistaken about your gender now." Stuward whispered humorously into my ear.

I clenched my hands around his shoulders tightly. He stifled his groan but couldn't stop the flinch and he glared down at me and I only smirked.

"Thread carefully."

No words were then shared between us until a black cat rushed out of the dumpster down a bit away from us. Stuward jumped knocking roughly into me and causing me to fall away from him, luckily I got myself on the other wall.

I glared at him. "You'd swear I was the man."

His cheeks tinted red and he looked away stubbornly.

"Shut up." He said.

I rolled my eyes at him. Feeling a bit tingly inside from his blush that was cute, I couldn't deny that.

My eyes scanned the area where the cat ran from and I cursed loudly. The Night Guard walked out from around the narrow corner. It's smell making me gag and grip my mates hand and rush away before it noticed us.

Stuward asked what's wrong and I only answered him when we were hidden carefully behind the dumpster. The stinking rench of gone off milk wafted up from underneath all the rubbish bags, doing nothing to hide the disgust from my voice.

"Haven't you seen the papers?" I questioned him like he was an idiot, even though I was lying through my teeth.

I just didn't want the Night Guard to catch my scent. Even though they wouldn't recognize me or be able to tell fully that I was a Were. They'd still bring me in for questioning and chances are I wouldn't be as lucky as before to find my mate.

He narrowed his eyes befuddled. "Kinda, why does that involve hiding from the Night Guards?"

"Because, doofus. Your blood was found near the crime scene of your Grandpa, meaning.."

"—meaning I would be a likely suspect. Assholes!" He cursed clenching his fists angrily.

My eyes went alarmed when the Night Guard spoke in his deep voice. The result from Stuward speaking  too loud.

He moved closer. His feet carefully hitting the concrete.

"Who's there?" He yelled out.

He loaded his gun creating a clocking sound. Sweat prickled on my forehead and I instantly searched for a escape route. If we ran towards to the other side of bare road, we'd most likely be seen.

Stuward knew the danger we were now in and he looked around as well. My eyesight started to glitch turning hazy and I gritted my teeth, loathing being in my human form.

"There, come on hurry." Stuward murmured softly pointing at a sewer the was a few feet away but the dumpster would block the view.

I nodded a bit proudly at him and we both quickly shoved the cap off. Stuward let me climb down first, being the gentlemen that he was and hurried after me. Darkness surrounded us the second he shut us from the light.

"Ew, it stinks down here." Stuward whined his face turned pale and he held his nose.

I agreed.

"Obviously, this where all our waste goes. Don't expect it to get lesser as we go on."

My mates groaned feeling along the wall, his eyes slow to adjust this time. I waited for him since I had no idea where we were going and I need to let my heart calm down. It was going ninety miles per hour, especially the way my need for blood throbbed.

·

Being down in the crepuscular underbelly of the city gave me a short pump of adrenaline being this rebellious. I've never been down here before, not in human form. Mostly Were form. So this was a new experience for me.

Dirty, green water rippled beside us. Stuward and I were both cautious with our steps as we traveled forward on the grubby concrete. It was turned a mossy green by the tube lights above on the ceilings. Every now and again, cars would shake dust from the ceiling and over the ground rails.

I coughed shivering from the cold drifting in from above. And a uneasy feeling settled in my stomach. I have to feed soon. I can already feel myself slipping, the need for blood siphoning and I cursed behind Stuward. If it weren't for him, I would've fed long ago.

Self hate formed and I sighed mentally. Even though he's my mate, I can already feel my need to feed over riding the regret I felt for killing his Grandpa.

"What school did you go to?" Stuward said slowing down his pace, his brown eyes curiously staring back at me.

It was about time we got to know each other a bit better. Usually I wouldn't worry about stuff like that but he's my mate and I want to try to be more human for him. And to get him less suspicious of me, if he is that is.

"I didn't go to school." I answered plainly. "You?"

His eyes grew shocked for a moment and he paused, before quickly catching up to me again. "Didn't your parents not force you?"

"Did you?" I pressed forcibly through gritted teeth, not in the mood to go down memory lane.

I admired him for his understanding personality. It gave him more like points.

His eyes went distant and a soft smile developed on his face.

"Yeah, my Mom used to always spray me with my water gun if I didn't get up." He chuckled fondly swinging his arms playfully in sync with his the swish of his legs.

The walkway along the water seemed almost never ending. My legs burned with muscle strengthening, I only hoped Stuward knew where we were going. He gave some indication that he did since he always kept in head of me. Maybe to help me avoid oncoming danger.

"Where's your Mom now?" I asked without thinking being the social outcast that I was.

He bit his lip giving me one side glance. "I don't know where either of my parents are. Night Guards captured them."

I nodded listening intently to the anger rising in his tone and daringly I asked the winning question.

"Why?"

He took awhile to reply back, but when he did. He held so much hate towards the vampires and my kind.

"They were working with Were fugitives to help them get outside the border."

·End·