(9)

·Winter, 2014·

                                 The districts of Warr Acres were covered in pure white snow. Homeless people were even weaker than before. The cold weather leaving them like frozen Popsicles for me whenever I went out hunting.

I chose the evening this time. Excusing myself from the table when Stephanie, her family and my mate start down for dinner. I disliked human food and the sun sometime shielded me from the humans. The sun always contrasted against my dark fur.

The breeze screeched over the loud cries of tires swerving on the snow plowed road. I keep to my routine keeping close to the shadows that were brought on by the large Victorian house with steps traveling up to them.

The snow protected the humans, without it I would've killed a lot more in the past. It made my snout warm and snotty, my eyes sting since the air was like ice. This was one of the coldest Winters in years.

But on the pulse side, there were drunk humans and drunk humans made easy targets.

·

"Where were you?" Stuward asked skeptically when  I entered the backdoor two hours after dinner.

I ignored him for the time being walking over to the sink. The tap poured out heavily over the small cut, that I received from a feisty meal, as I pulled up my glove over my left hand. I obscured the view of the rest of my scars from my mate by pushing my stomach into the counter.

But he gave me a slight shiver when he touched my shoulder erupting slight sparks, surprising me by turning me around. The water from my wound dripped to the tiled floor and I quickly hid both my hands in my thighs.

Anger shown clear on my red cheeked face.

"Don't touch me." I hissed irritated at him.

He seemed shocked, his voice more gentle this time as he leant his hand forward.

"Show me." He murmured with concern lacing his warm voice.

I glanced around the kitchen feeling recoiled by my need to listen to him. But I didn't want him to look at them, at what my Father did to me. He didn't even know I was the Were that killed his Grandpa so how could I take this step.

Unfortunately, he made the choice for me and forced my hands away from the safety of my thighs leading me to the circle table.

"No!" I weakly tried to pull them away but the sparks enlightened me and made me want to keep letting him touch me.

"Shush, I won't ask why okay? Just let me clean it." He said pleadingly locking eyes with me to assure me that he was saying the truth and hesitantly I nodded.

He was my mate. So, without even wanting or knowing it. I trusted him more than anyone right now.

"Where's Stephanie?" I asked watching him intently as he poked my cut gently cleansing it with antiseptic wipes that were hidden under the sink.

"You've grown fond of her, I see." He chuckled smiling at me fondly. "But don't worry she's gone to the market."

I looked away. "I am not fond of her. She's useful. That's all."

He chuckled even more and that sent tingles through my body. Good ones though. I couldn't show him a smile though even if I was happy. I haven't smiled in awhile. I didn't give myself the pleasure of doing it.

Not when I went out killing innocent vitcims every few days, or weeks. Depends how far gone I am.

"There," Stuward smiled content and making me turn to glance over at him. His back muscles stretching through his polo shirt when he leant forward more in his chair, skidding it across the floor.

"All done." He finished placing the square plaster over my cleaned wound.

I lifted up my hand shifting it back and forth. I couldn't help but be impressed by how well done it was.

"You should be a doctor." I commented appealingly placing my hand back on my thigh.

He raised an eyebrow, his black hair having grown out longer in the last few weeks and shaded it. He sat properly in the chair and leaned his chin into his fist against the picnic table mat.

"Is that your way of saying thank you." He stated amused, then said affectionately poking my nose. "You're so cute."

My cheeks flushed and I glared at him. He wouldn't be saying that if he knew what I was.

"I'm not cute." I hissed scrunching my nose up in disgust at his daring compliment. I looked away with a expression of annoyance and slowly pulled back on my gloves not as self conscious as before though.

His chuckle this time was purely gladdening to me. I found it cliche though, that only he was able to make me feel so -I curled my toes- content with myself. He made me want to be different but I could never be what he wanted me to be.

I couldn't be his apple to his pie, or any cliche saying of such because I was only made for one thing and that was to be the monster I was expected to be.

Just like in the fairytales that human children were told at night.

Self hatred now swirled inside me from my lugubrious thoughts.

The front door then slammed open. Stephanie and her Fathers scent wafted in. They were sweating and jittery with nerves. At least Stephanie was, Michael wasn't.

Stephanie was frantic rushing over her words and panting from the cold. Her face bright red and protected by a wooly hat with her long brown hair trailing down her back in a plait.

Michael stood under the light of the kitchen with glistening perspiration. Being the kind of man that would be the first thing that your eyes would spot in a dark room. He wore his badge of being the general of the Night Guard platoons proudly on his left shoulder.

Stephanie's younger sister, Miriam stitched it into his coat for him. It matched well with the red and blue colors that symbolized unity for the Vampires and humans. She currently was away in France for a school trip.

But when I first met Micheal, he stared me down with his cold hazel eyes that could match Satan himself and he smiled as if he knew something that I didn't.

Michael thankfully wasn't a vampire. It was luck being on my side once again. But it was strange, his smell was different almost as if he wasn't fully human himself.

"Stuward they found your Were, the one that killed your Grandpa." Stephanie gasped exasperated after calming down and repeating herself more firmly.

The atmosphere went dark and Stuwards look was one that could kill. His bangs covered his eyes as he went downcast with a deep frown embedded on his face. He clenched his fists tightly, his skin stretching over his white knuckle bones.

I felt disconnected from my body. My heart pounding and my breath getting rash and ragged as sweat prickled from my nervous feelings. I felt my teeth grind softly against each other and I bit my lip.

A sense of nausea filled me and I didn't even pay attention to what they were saying. I only saw their lips moving in rely to each other. My ears going numb from the vigorous beating of my anxious heart. I closed my eyes thinking about how stupid I've been. They probably caught me on CTV. I tried to refrain from shifting like I'd normally do in situations similar to this by clenching my fists.

"Hey. Don't worry. We'll catch this monster." Stuward murmured poking my nose and catching me off guard causing me to nod dumbly with wide open eyes.

If only they knew the monster was already here, right under their naive noses.

·End·

Song is for the whole of part two :)