(10)

·Winter, 2014·

                            The streets of the city square were filled with cheery humans and bright Christmas decorations. A blanket of white cushioned the square and I was careful with my footing on the icy ground. A collage of rainbow lights draped across like vines from shop to shop that the humans rushed to and fro.

The snow was pushed to the sides of shops to give you more freeway. Humans swept by us with assortments of shopping bags and paid no air to the Christmas carols singing on the sides. Their delicate voices drifting into the night.

"The shops down here." Michael told all of us adverting us down a thinner walkway.

Stuward glanced at me moving closer to me as we past by some homeless gang banging their cans. I licked my lips instantly regretting it when my eyes looked up, locking with Michaels.

I lost the glaring match and paid attention to where we were going, not able to really loose the sense of dread I was feeling from his glare. The buildings were made of complete stone and branded different names. Most of them missing all the letters.

Every type of scent wafted into my nose and I snorted into my hand. The smell of dirty Vampires making me gag and my eyes burn when we neared a patrol. Their weapons glinting in my scared eyes as they past us with urgency. The emotion quickly past when we came to a low archway, the gate that divided us from getting in was shaking from the harsh breeze and sending a rattling noise into the bare walkway.

"Dad.. Are you su—

"For the last time. Stephanie, yes I'm s—sure." Michael retorted harshly back to his daughter who flinched and gave both my mate and I a sympathetic look before taking out my mates camera from her duffel bag.

"Here, Stuward." She forced a smile and begrudgingly handed him the camera. "I'll see you at home, yeah."

Stuward spared me a raised eyebrow with his lips pursed in a frown. Snow fell dramatically onto the scene as Stephanie trailed back the way we came. I couldn't help but spot the way her fists were clenched with frustration in her red gloves, then she was gone from our sight.

Michael was my sole attention now and I unconsciously moved a step closer to Stuward. He was also weary of Michael since he wasn't being himself. Michael seemed anxious about something. His eyes nervously switching back from both of us to the gate.

With my keen eyes, I could clearly see sweat prickle down his forehead that was creased in a frown. His lips were unusually dry and judging by his eyes; his nervous emotions were increasing in dept.

The question would have to be why? What was he so nervous about?

The revolting smell of a strong vampire formed on my taste buds. My eyes burned from the sour taste, my tongue quickly making work to get rid of it. It made me feel woozy and my eyes droop from the silver weapon he was carrying as he moved towards us.

Two vampires stood frozen like on either side of the opening gate. It screeched loudly cutting a knife through the icy air and Michael bowed to his superior.

"Master, I come bearing the gifts you spoke of." He chided standing straight up in a stoic position. His breath coming out in big puffs as well as everybody else's.

Master glanced down at my mate and I. His red eyes showcasing that he was a pureblood and held ancestral power running through his veins that poked out of his bulging arms. Entwining around them like barb wire. The cold didn't seem to bother him like the rest of us since he only wore the Summer part of the armor that the Night Guards wore.

"You have done well, for a human." His voice was slithery like a snake and just as deceiving.

His height towered over us with his shadow over lapping mine as he neared me. He beckoned for the guards to come over and he smiled darkly like the undead monster that he was. Humans were just foolish enough to always trust the one that harmed them the most.

The guards came near us pointing their guns at us. Stuward pulled me roughly closer to him and I became befuddled staring at him but I knew why. Even though we didn't expect it to happen, we became bonded over time. Bonded by the hardships we've been through.

"Don't come any closer, or w—we

"You'll what," Master laughed as if Stuward said the funniest thing ever. His laugh was annoyingly high and drummed into my ears.

I gripped my mates hand knowing what he was going do just when Master finished his sentence.

"Run? Then do, I love a good chase."

And we did. We rushed back up the road and into the square. Our tracks leaving snow spread everywhere in our wake. But we only had on thing on our minds.

Escape.

·End·