Chapter 8

"What is this?" The man stared at the paper in his hands.

"My client has set up a trust fund for your daughter," Jisoo said.

"W‐what?" He looked at the serious lawyer and at his ex-wife. "What kind of trust fund?"

"For her medical needs. My client has put two thirds of the compensation you gave her into this fund. It has discretionary distributions that are solely meant for her medical expenses. You must provide solid documentation for every discretion request. Every dime in that fund must only be used for your daughter's health and well‐being. And note, that doesn't include vacations in the Maldives or getting her a new car. Medical expenses only," Jisoo firmly emphasized the last words.

He stared at Jennie with mouth slightly open and eyes wide. "Y-you're serious?"

Jennie shrugged. "I never wanted your money and I never wanted to hurt your daughter. She's innocent. You're the one who has to pay, not her."

"I‐I‐..." He stuttered in disbelief. It took him a few more seconds to close his mouth. He stood up from his chair and bowed 90 degrees. "Thank you."

Jennie didn't move. "Not bad for a heartless, cold woman who deserves to be alone forever, right?"

He straightened up. "I‐I'm sorry."

"Are we done here?" Jennie asked Jisoo.

"Yes. You can go. I'll explain how things work to Mr. Kang and his client."

"Good." Jennie shouldered her bag and stood up. She looked at the embarrassed and guilty looking man. "You have what you want now so don't repeat the same mistake, Oppa. Take good care of your little girl." She turned on her heels and left the room before anyone could see her glistening eyes.

-­‐-­‐-­‐-­‐

"Pretty Noona!" The little boy ran into her, almost toppling her backward.

She laughed and adjusted her squatting position.

"Look at my drawing!"

"Wow, that's nice! Tell me what this is." She took hold of the paper.

"This is my house." He pointed at the messy shape of a large red and yellow house that occupied most of the space. "This is my dog," he pointed at the brown and black circles on the bottom. "And I will have a father and a mother and a baby sister!" He kept pointing at each stick figure. "She will wear pink!"

Jennie laughed. "What if she likes blue?"

"No! Pink!" He shook his head and shouted.

"Okay okay. Pink little sister it is," she ruffled his hair. "Very good drawing, Kwangsun."

He showed his toothless grin and grabbed his paper. He then ran back to his table and started to draw something else.

"Unnie!"

Jennie turned her head to see Yeri carrying a laughing girl on her back. She was jumping up and down, making the girl shriek with joy.

"Be careful, Yeri."

"We are kangaroos!" Yeri jumped higher and the girl was hysterical with laughter.

Jennie laughed and shook her head. "You do know that kangaroos carry their kids in their pouch? As in that thing on their stomach?"

"I can't fit her in my pants, Unnie. My back will do." Yeri laughed out loud.

"You can be so silly sometimes." Jennie shook her head.

They spent another hour with the children until lunchtime came. They said their goodbyes amidst the pleas to stay, the little sad faces looking up at them and the requests to come back to play. With heavy hearts, they were finally able to leave the humble orphanage and headed back to Seoul in Jennie's car.