Chapter 12

"Unnie?" The voice came with the light tap on the glass.

Lisa looked up from the papers to see Misun standing at the open door.

"What is it, Misun?"

"Someone's here to see you. Her name is Jung Aesook. She said she knows you?" The girl was uncertain.

Lisa raised her eyebrows. "I've never heard of her but send her in anyway."

Misun nodded and left before returning a few seconds later with a young woman behind her. She let the woman through and left the office room.

Lisa stood up and bowed a little. "Good afternoon, I'm Manoban Lalisa. How can I help you?" She gestured towards one of the chairs.

The young woman bowed and took a seat. "My name is Jung Aesook. We've never met before but I do know you."

Lisa sat down. "From one of my clients or cases?"

"No. From Mrs. Baek back in Jeolado."

Lisa frowned. "How do you know Mrs. Baek, if I may ask?"

The young woman was clearly nervous. She was fidgeting with the strap of her bag and shifting in her seat.

Lisa noticed the worn out bag and the humble appearance of the young lady.

"Please don't be angry at Mrs. Baek. I know she wasn't supposed to tell me but I begged her since her successor, Miss Park, couldn't help me... and Mrs. Baek said that you're a good person, a kind heart, so I thought..." The woman gulped.

"You came all the way from Jeolado?"

She nodded. "I've just arrived, actually, and I came straight here. I‐I... I made a mistake, Miss Manoban."

"Just call me Lisa or unnie since I think you're younger than I am."

"I made a mistake, U‐unnie. A big one." The woman looked at Lisa with sad and regretful eyes.

"And you think I can help you with it?"

"Y-yes. But I must apologize first."

"Why?" Lisa was becoming more confused by the minute. "I'm sorry, Miss Aesook. Can you be more specific and start from the beginning, please?"

"I... had a son when I was seventeen, Unnie."

"Oh?" Lisa raised her eyebrows.

"I was young, stupid. I didn't know what to do. I ran away from home and someone told me about Mrs. Baek's little orphanage. I..." She started to tear up. "I left him there."

Lisa started to feel uncomfortable about where the story was going.

"That was five years ago. I was a mess back then but I have a job now. Not a high paying one, I work at a restaurant, but a job nonetheless. I don't have an apartment but I rent this small room in this kind grandmother's house who lives alone. It's not much but my life's stable now." The young woman paused, composing herself. "And I regretted my decision. There's never been a day when I don't think about where that boy is and how he's doing."

Lisa waited patiently for the woman to continue, unconsciously clutching the pen she had grabbed off her desk.

"I know I made a huge mistake when I left him with Mrs. Baek but I want to make amends. I want a second chance. I want to raise him." She took a deep breath. "My son's name is Jung Inho."

Lisa felt her world shatter at that one last sentence. The pen in her hand cracked a bit under her forceful grip.

"J‐jung Inho? You're..." Lisa gulped. "You're Inho's biological mother?"