Chapter 17

Lisa tried to pull the crying Jennie out of the courtroom.

Her shoulder was pretty much drenched by now since Jennie had been crying non‐stop for more than fifteen minutes.

Lisa sat down on one of the benches, pulling Jennie with her.

She sighed and leaned back against the wall, not even sure what to say or do. She had gone beyond numb. Her brain had stopped working. She was staring blankly at the wall in front of her with her arms around Jennie. Everything felt so surreal. Like a dream. A very bad dream.

Jisoo and Yeri sat on each end of the bench, watching their friends in despair.

Jennie finally lifted her head from Lisa's wet shoulder and saw Aesook approaching them.

She stood up and lunged forward. She would have attacked the woman if it weren't for Yeri's fast reflexes that held her back by the arms.

"You had your chance and you threw it away! You didn't even want him! And now you're taking him away from us?! We love him! He's OUR son! We raised him!"

"Nini..." Lisa snapped out of her daze and stood up, holding the crying Jennie.

Yeri slowly let go and stepped back.

"Do you know that he even had problems speaking because he was depressed? A two year old! Depressed! Because his mother abandoned him! People thought he was mute! Nobody wanted him but we do! We love him! I love him!"

Lisa finally felt tears brimming in her eyes at hearing Jennie's words. The numbness started to recede and all she could feel was pain.

"Where were you?! Huh?!" Jennie didn't stop. "Five years later and you come waltzing in here, ripping him away from the home and the people he knows and loves just because you happen to feel sorry?!"

Aesook flinched and kept her head down, "I‐I'm sorry." She really didn't know what else to say.

"Bullshit!"

"Jen!"

"If she's really sorry then she wouldn't have done this!" Jennie told Lisa. "What the heck is wrong with meeting halfway? Doing this together? We're willing so why aren't you?" She was addressing the woman again, pointing at her. "Why do you have to be so selfish?!"

Lisa took a deep breath. "Jennie, let's go home. We'll talk about this later."

Lisa pulled Jennie away, making sure that they kept a safe distance from Aesook as they walked past her.

Lisa called the driver and told him to hurry.

She then half dragged Jennie inside the car without even saying goodbye to her friends.

The ride back home was quiet except for the sobs and random rants from Jennie.

Lisa didn't say a word, silently breaking on the inside.

She finally remembered something and took one hand off Jennie's back and dialed a number on her phone.

"Omoni? It's Lisa. Can you help pick up Inho and Heeryung from school today? Sorry it's such short notice. We'll come by the house and get them later." She paused to listen to the reply. "N-no, everything's fine. The court's taking a bit long, that's all. Yes, Omoni. Don't worry. Yes, we'll see you later. Thank you." She hung up and clutched the phone.

"Geunshin?"

"Yes, Miss Manoban?" The driver looked at her from the rearview mirror. His eyes clearly showed concern.

"Take us straight home, please."

"Yes, Miss Manoban."

Lisa silently sighed and kissed the top of Jennie's head. "We'll get through this, Nini... somehow..." She tightened her arms around Jennie.

Burden of Proofजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें