Final Chapter

Jisoo stood up from her seat. "Where were you? You said one hour."

"Sorry, it took a while to convince Inho that we're not leaving him there for good," Lisa said, a bit breathless because of all the rush and anxiety.

"He's good now?"

Lisa nodded. "Since Heeryung's there with him, it was easier to convince him that we'll be back for him later." Lisa ran her fingers through her hair and felt Jennie squeezing her hand.

"It'll be fine, Lisa." Jennie tried to comfort Lisa.

Jisoo sighed. "Poor boy."

"Yeah. Wait. Why aren't you surprised that Inho's back with us?"

"I talked to Aesook's lawyer," Jisoo explained. "He said that she was planning to terminate her parental rights and reinstate yours through adoption. He told me that she went to your house last night to return the boy?"

"Yes. We made her stay the night but she left early this morning without saying goodbye."

"And that's when the accident happened, I assume?" Lisa nodded. "Have you seen her?"

"Not yet. I was waiting for you." Jisoo turned around and walked towards one of the corridors. "The doctor said she's stable but she's still unconscious. She suffered quite an injury when she fell and hit her head."

Lisa and Jennie followed Jisoo.

"Here," Jisoo took the masks and gloves provided on a cart outside the room, handing a set to Lisa. "Extra precaution considering her condition."

"I'll go in. You stay here," Lisa told Jennie.

"Why?"

"I just don't feel comfortable risking both of us in this."

"There's no risk. You know HIV doesn't spread through air or physical contact," Jennie argued.

"Yes but still... I'd like to be extra careful. I can't afford any more drama. Please? She's not awake anyway so she won't even know who visits her."

Jennie sighed. "Fine. I'll wait here."

"Thank you." Lisa put on the gloves and mask and followed Jisoo inside.

She sighed when she saw the woman lying on the bed with a bandaged head and bruises and cuts on her arms and face. "Did the doctor say anything about her chance to recover?" She asked Jisoo.

"Considering her condition, the chance is very low. Her immune system is too weak. They don't know whether she could survive this."

Lisa gulped. "So what do we do now?"

"Her lawyer said she had drawn up a will not long after she won custody over Inho. Should the worst happen..." Jisoo trailed off.

"What will happen to Inho?"

"I'll do anything in my power to make sure he's back where he belongs, with you and Jennie, regardless of what the will says."

"Thanks," Lisa said.

They stood quietly for a few seconds, observing the still figure lying in the hospital bed.

"Go home, Lis. Go back to your family. There's nothing we can do here. I've put my number down as the emergency contact along with her lawyer's. I'll let you know once I hear something." Jisoo gestured for them to leave the room.

"Someone needs to tell the landlady," Lisa said as she took off her mask and gloves and disposed them in the bin. "She'd be worried." She then used the alcohol hand sanitizer nearby to clean her hands thoroughly before she let Jennie hold her hand.