Chapter 13

"Good morning, Miss Aesook. I hope I didn't wake you." Lisa lowered her voice.

"Good morning, Unnie. Don't worry, I've been up for a while."

"Did you have a good rest?"

"Yes. The hotel is very nice, thank you."

"No problem. It's the least I could do." Lisa paused and listened to the sound of running water. "Look, can we talk about this some more today? I'll come down and meet you at the hotel this afternoon."

"Sure. I know this must not be easy on you, Unnie. I didn't expect you to give him up so easily." The young woman paused. "By the way, is it okay for me to see him? Can I see him?"

Lisa gulped. She didn't want the boy to meet his biological mother. She was afraid. What if they immediately connect after one meeting and he runs to go with her? Don't they share this bond that I can never understand or be a part of? She bit her lip. Despite her fears, she also knew that she couldn't deny the woman the right to see her son. She sighed. "I'll try to bring him along. But it doesn't mean I'm handing him over, Miss Aesook. I intend to take him back home with me."

The woman took a deep breath. "I know, Unnie. I know you're not going down without a fight. I guess that means that you really do love him. So as much as it hurts me, I know that it's a good thing. Besides, it was my fault. I know it was my fault." She fought to keep her composure.

Lisa heard the water stop. "Okay. I'll let you know the exact time later. I have to go now."

"Okay. Thank you, Unnie."

"Don't thank me." Lisa mumbled as she hung up the phone.

Lisa got up and left the room, heading to the doors at the end of the hall. She peeked inside the one with the rainbow nameplate hanging on it. She saw the sleeping figure and approached the pink bed. "Ryung‐ah..." She sat down on the mattress and shook the small body gently. "Wake up."

The girl stretched and grimaced before turning away from Lisa, pulling the blanket over her head.

Lisa grinned. "Come on. Get up, Ryung‐ah..." She tried to pull the blanket down but the girl kept resisting.

"I'll drive you to school today and pick you up later. We'll go for ice cream," Lisa coaxed.

The blanket struggle stopped.

"For real?" Came the muffled voice.

"Yep. But only if you get up now."

The girl turned to face Lisa and peeked from under the blanket. "Promise?"

Lisa lifted a pinky. "Promise." She hooked their pinkies and pressed the thumbs. "Get ready."

Lisa stood up and watched the girl lazily kick the blankets, roll off the bed and drag her feet out the door. She had to laugh. "I should borrow Mrs. Baek's old bell. It woke twenty kids at once!" She grinned at the memory but the smile quickly disappeared as the image of the kind old woman reminded her of Inho and his mother.

She sat down on the bed and sighed. I know I shouldn't even think this but right now, I'm so glad Heeryung's parents are gone. At least they won't be showing up out of nowhere, asking for their daughter back. She unconsciously balled up her fists. The possibility of losing one was already too much for her to handle. She couldn't imagine losing both. Her eyes were starting to tear up when she heard tiny rushed footsteps down the hall. She straightened up and calmed herself down for a second before rushing out, just in time to catch the small figure who was about to barge into her bedroom.

"Whoa there, Mister," Lisa grabbed him by the waist and lifted him up. "Where do you think you're going?" She tried to kiss him but he struggled out of her hold.