Chapter 21

The familiar high‐pitched scream was heard through the crowd, making people turn their heads. Some of them even scoffed at the running boy.

"Noonaaaaa!" The boy was waving a piece of paper in one hand and a paper bag in the other. His backpack bounced as he made his way to greet Heeryung.

Aesook was following him quietly from a short distance.

Inho bumped against the grinning girl. "Happy Birthday Noona!" He panted.

"Thanks!" Heeryung gave the boy a quick hug and a pat on the head.

"I made you a drawing!" He showed her the paper in his hand.

The girl frowned. "Why isn't my cake and dress pink?"

"I lost the pink crayon. Sorry. But you're riding Thomas!" He pointed at the blue messy shapes. "With Barbie!" He pointed at a blond stick figure.

"Barbie should ride a pink train!"

"I lost my pink crayon!"

Heeryung sighed.

Lisa and Jennie smiled.

"Hi, Inho." Lisa ruffled the boy's hair and stooped down to kiss his cheek.

"What's that? A present for your noona?" She pointed at the paper bag.

"Yes!" He gave it to the girl. "It's pink!"

"Thanks!" Heeryung took it and pulled out the contents. "A pink train?!"

"Yes! So Barbie can ride it!"

The adults laughed.

"Where did he get this?" Lisa asked Aesook, taking the wood train from Heeryung's hand and observing it.

"I know this old ahjussi who loves making toys. I took Inho there and he requested a pink train for Heeryung."

"Thank you," Jennie said and smiled.

Aesook was clearly surprised to see Jennie actually smiling to her. She bowed a little. "It's no problem at all, Unnie."

"Let's go! Let's go! Let's go!" Inho was pulling at Heeryung and Jennie's hands.

The three ran out of the station, laughing and giggling.

Lisa smiled at the sight. She walked alongside Aesook, making their way calmly after the happy trio.

"Thanks for coming. Our driver will take you home later," Lisa said.

"No problem, Unnie. It's the least I could do for the birthday girl."

"Will you be alright on your own?"

"Of course! I have my books with me. Don't worry," the woman smiled.

Lisa observed the seemingly thinner woman. "Are you okay? Is he still not talking to you?"

"I'm fine, Unnie." She said nothing more.

They reached the car park where Inho was pulling at the door handle excitedly.

"Hey, don't do that." Jennie stopped him.

Lisa unlocked the doors with the remote and the children quickly climbed inside.

"Well, I'll see you in a few hours then. Call me if there's anything at all," Lisa turned to Aesook.

"Sure thing, Unnie. Have fun." The young woman bowed again and watched as Lisa and Jennie got into the car and drove away.

Aesook took a deep breath and walked around to find a café or coffee shop where she could sit and wait for a few hours.