Chapter 16

They walked past the butler just in time to hear a high‐pitched scream echoing through the vast hall.

Lisa jumped while Jennie only shook her head.

The scream grew louder and they saw the boy running down the stairs with the old man chasing him, waving a comb in his hand.

"Mommyyyyyyy~!!" Inho saw Jennie and changed direction. He ran towards her with arms open, ready to pounce.

Jennie laughed as she let go of Lisa's hand and squatted down to welcome the charging boy. She held him tight and lifted him in her arms, breathing in the powdery shampoo scent from his damp hair.

"What are you doing, Ahboji?" Lisa asked the panting man.

He showed the comb in his hand and the pants in the other. "He had barely put his shirt on when he decided to make me chase him around the house."

Lisa noticed the pantless boy and laughed. She slapped his butt lightly. "Put on your pants, Inho-yah! You made poor Grandpa tired."

The boy turned to look at Lisa and grinned.

"You little mischief," Lisa pinched his cheek. "Now get down from there."

"No." He tightened his arms around Jennie's neck.

Jennie was barely holding herself together. She just stood there quietly, nuzzling her nose in the boy's neck.

"I assume it didn't go very well?" The old man handed Lisa the pants and comb.

"No ruling yet," Lisa said.

"Let's just pay her and get it over with," he said. "Or we could just move to New Zealand, take everybody with us. I'll let my lawyers handle everything here." It hurt him to see his daughter so sad and shaken.

"It's no use, Dad," Jennie finally lifted her head and spoke. "We can't run away and she doesn't want the money." She let the boy down and handed him over to Lisa who quickly helped him put his pants on.

"Sigh..." The man hugged his daughter. "I'm sorry you have to go through all this again."

Jennie said nothing.

"Where's your noona?" Lisa asked Inho.

"With Grandma."

Lisa had barely finished combing his hair when he sprinted out of sight, heading towards the kitchen.

"Yah! Inho! Where are you going?" Lisa shouted after him.

"Probably to the kitchen. Heeryung's in there with her grandma."

"Baking again? She should be a chef," Lisa said.

The man chuckled and started to walk towards the kitchen, his arm still around his daughter's shoulders. "Why not?"

They made their way to the large kitchen where the boy was now calmly perched on a stool at the tall counter, nibbling on a cookie.

"Hey..." Lisa ruffled the busy girl's hair. "What are you doing?"

"Grandma taught me how to make cupcakes!" The girl proudly showed the misshapen batch of treats.

Lisa grinned at the woman who was putting another batch into the oven. She mouthed a quiet thanks and the woman smiled.

"Nice job. Can I have one?" Lisa reached out for a cupcake and the girl slapped her hand away.

"Not that one, Umma!"

"Ow... why are you so much like your Mommy?" Lisa rubbed her hand with a slight pout on her face.

Heeryung reached for a cupcake in a yellow paper wrapper. "This one is yours." She gave it to Lisa.