Chapter 11

Lisa pulled the keys out of the lock and opened the door slowly. She stepped inside the dark house, tiptoeing to not make any noise. She closed the door behind her and turned the lock quietly.

Setting her briefcase down on the floor, she swiftly proceeded to take off her jacket and shoes.

She carefully made her way past the empty living room and was about to set foot on the stairs when she caught a glimpse of something rushing towards her from the dimly lit kitchen.

"Oof!" The force of the tackle sent her staggering backwards before she managed to regain her footing. "Yah! Why are you still up?" She hissed.

"Waiting for you."

"But it's late! You have school tomorrow." She tried to peel the little girl's face off her hip. "If your mom finds out..."

As if on cue, the lights went on and the girl quickly hid behind Lisa's back; making Lisa laugh. "Uh‐oh, someone's in trouble now."

"Choi Heeryung..." Came the voice from the top of the stairs.

Lisa could feel little hands tightly grabbing the back of her shirt. She grinned.

"Better come out, Ryung-ah." She nudged the girl with one hand.

The girl slowly came out of hiding, her head down. "Yes, Mommy." Her one hand was still holding Lisa's.

"What are you doing out of bed?" Jennie made her way down the stairs.

"Waiting for Umma."

"Do you know that it's past your bed time?"

The girl nodded meekly.

"Go back to bed then."

"Alone?" She looked up at Jennie with sad puppy eyes.

Jennie sighed. "I'll come read you a bedtime story in a bit, okay?" Her tone softened.

The girl grinned. "Yay!" She then pulled Lisa's hand, making her stoop down. "Good night, Umma." She tiptoed and kissed Lisa's cheek before running up the stairs to her room.

Lisa waited until she heard the sound of a door closing before laughing out loud.

"Yeah, go on. Laugh. You weren't here to put them to bed in the first place."

"Hello to you too," she kissed Jennie. "Why are you so grumpy?" She used her free hand to pull Jennie closer by the waist.

"Just tired, I guess." Jennie leaned her forehead against Lisa's and closed her eyes.

"Welcome to the club," Lisa said.

"Sorry..."

"It's fine." Lisa gave Jennie another quick peck. "Inho's asleep?"

"Thankfully so." Jennie took a deep breath. "Remind me again why we did this?" She wrapped her arms around Lisa's neck.

Lisa laughed. "You know why."

They quietly stood there for a minute, leaning on each other.

"Just a few more days, Nini. Then you'll get your well deserved break."

"Yeah." Jennie let go of Lisa. "Go shower. I owe someone a bedtime story. I blame you for that sad puppy eyes trick."

"Excuse me? That has your name written all over it! You pull that on me all the time."

Jennie walked away. "You're getting them ready for school tomorrow."

"Tyrant."

Jennie ignored Lisa and kept walking.