Chapter 14

"Are you okay?" Lisa asked as she sat down next to Jennie who was lying on the bed. "Even the little monsters were worried about you. I just told them you're not feeling well."

Jennie had been quiet all day. She only spoke when asked and seemed distracted all throughout dinner.

"Are they asleep?" Jennie didn't move. Her back was still facing Lisa.

"I just tucked them in." Lisa lay down and hugged Jennie from behind. "What's wrong?"

Jennie took Lisa's hand off her and pushed Lisa back.

"Wha-..." Lisa was surprised by the gesture. Jennie never pushed her away like that before. "What's wrong with you?" She was tired and stressed. She didn't need Jennie acting all weird.

"You should ask yourself that."

"What? What did I do?" Lisa raised her voice and sat up.

Jennie finally turned around. She got off the bed and took out her wallet from her bag. She threw the credit card on the bed. "Here. You gave me the wrong one."

Lisa looked at the rectangular plastic on the mattress. "So? Why did you have to throw it at me like that?"

"It maxed out." Jennie half threw her wallet back in her bag. "Your two hotel visits maxed it out." She crossed her arms – her eyes flickering between anger and pain.

"Wha-... Oh." Lisa realized her mistake. She suddenly understood why Jennie was behaving that way.

"That's all you have to say for yourself?! Who is she, Lisa?"

"Nobody!" Lisa quickly got off the bed, approaching Jennie.

Jennie backed away.

Lisa reached out again. "I wasn't with anybody!"

"Right. Then why did you pay for a room at a hotel, huh?"

Lisa sighed, knowing that there was no other way but to tell Jennie the truth about what was going on.

Jennie shook her head in anger and disbelief. She was about to storm out of the room when Lisa caught her arm.

"I can explain!"

"You promised, Lisa! I can't believe you turn out to be just like him!"

"I AM NOT LIKE HIM!" Lisa yanked Jennie's arm. The stress was becoming too much for her. She didn't need an angry and misunderstanding Jennie on top of what was going on.

Jennie winced at the sudden shout and shockingly looked at Lisa after regaining her balance.

"S‐sorry..." Lisa stuttered. She had never yelled at Jennie or grabbed her like that in all the years they'd been together. Lisa let go of Jennie and facepalmed, backing away. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry... oh God..." The memory of her father crossed her mind and she shivered. I will not turn into him.

They stood there in silence, each struggling with her fears and insecurities.

"Please let me explain?" Lisa finally spoke again. She looked at Jennie and the latter could see the weary eyes.

Lisa took a deep breath and sat down on the foot of the bed. "Someone came to see me yesterday. Her name is Jung Aesook. She came all the way from Jeolado and she said Mrs. Baek told her about me and where to find me."

Jennie quietly raised her eyebrows, waiting for Lisa to explain more.

Lisa gulped. "She's Inho's biological mother."

Jennie gasped. Her eyes widened with shock.

"And she wants him back." Lisa's voice cracked. She buried her face in her palms, feeling the warmth of the tears seeping out of her eyes. She was tired of trying to hold everything in for the past two days.