Soulmates.

When someone turns 13, a tattoo appears. It can be anywhere. Shoulder, wrist, arm, ankle, knee, neck, anywhere. But that tattoo gives you a clue about the person with who you will spend the rest of your life with. You best friend and your prince/princess. Your soulmate. People have different names for them but the one I call them is soulmates. It's the most common one and the easiest to pronounce. Some call it a kindred soul, some confidante, etc..

For me, it was a trident. A small one, on my wrist. When I was 13, I was fascinated by it. I wanted to know who it was. Which wasn't easy because it could be anyone in the whole damn world. But, I narrowed it down and found out who my soulmate was. I found out when was around 14. From then on, I wished for it to disappear or change every single day of my life. You see, my soulmate is the person who I hate most in my life. Percy Jackson.

No one knows that he is my soulmate. I'm pretty sure even he doesn't know. I mean, I know because I accidentally saw his tattoo. It was an owl. On the small of his back. He's a swimmer and I was near the pool when he was practicing. Also, I'm very observant. So, I noticed the tattoo. I hide my tattoo all the time, by either wearing a watch or a bracelet, or some shit like that. So, no one knows what my tattoo is. Not like they can figure out who my soulmate is.

Now, the answer to the question, why? Why do I hate him? Well, other than the fact that he is a conceited jerk, he has made my life miserable since kindergarten. Well, tried to. I didn't feel miserable but I do hate him. And what's even worse is that his family and mine are friends. For a long time. My mother and his father were colleagues. They didn't get along that well, but they were friends. Which was enough to form a 'bond' between our families.

It didn't help that we had common friend. His cousins, Nico and Thalia are my best friends. My friend, Piper's soulmate is his best friend, Jason. My friend Leo's soulmate was Calypso, his friend and ex. Grover and Juniper were both my friends and his. Frank, my friend was the soulmate of Hazel, his friend. So, everyday of school I had lunch with him. I mostly ignored him, but he was still annoying. Thankfully, though, we didn't have many classes together. Just one. Math. Which is what I'm in now. I had already finished the sums Mrs. Dodds gave so I was just dreaming. I just ignored Percy when he tried to get me to help him in the problems. Percy sucks at math. So, I put aside my pride (which was very hard) and asked him if he wanted help sometime ago, but he said no. I left him alone since then.

Anyway, the bell for lunch rang. Every student ran out of the class, including me. I might be a straight-A student, but that doesn't mean I like to stay in class. I headed to the lunch room and saw that all my friends were already seated. Percy, however, was nowhere to be seen. I headed there and sat down and took out my sandwiches. I began to eat and Percy plopped himself on our table, right in front of me. Then, he took one of my sandwiches and put it in his mouth. The whole thing!

"Thanks, Annie," Percy said.

I was about to tell him off, when Grover nudged him.

"Percy, do it," he said.

"Do I have to?" Percy said.

"Yes, Percy," Everyone chorused, like they were tired of him asking the same question.

"Fine," he grumbled. "Annabeth, would you please do me the favor of going out with me tomorrow? Not as a date."

"Huh? Tomorrow? Why?"

Everyone on the table tensed up. Like they were hiding something.

"Yes, tomorrow. Because... um.... uh.... Because I feel bad about being mean to you for the past years. Let me make it up to you?"

"Sure, why not?"

"Great! I'll pick you up at ten in the morning?"

"Sure."