The Royal Ball

Annabeth groaned as she sun peeked through the flimsy curtains of her 'room'.

"ANNABETH!! GET UP! THE TWINS NEED BREAKFAST AND SO DO I!!"

Annabeth groaned again and got off her bed. She made herself presentable and went downstairs to get breakfast done for her step-mons-mother and the twins. Annabeth's step mom never treated her right. Except when her father was around. And now that he wasn't around anymore either, Helen had all the power to treat Annabeth as a little maid.

She entered the kitchen to see the twins, Brielle and Marley fighting, yet again, about some random bullshit no one cared about. Annabeth learnt a long time ago to completely ignore them unless they were talking to her. She prepared some potatoes and omelettes.

"Helen? I need to go to the market today to get a couple of items, would it be alright if I went after breakfast?"

Helen made a non-committal nod and ignored me. She finished her breakfast and left to go Gods know where. Brielle and Marley followed suite. Annabeth washed the dishes and made herself some breakfast, quickly finishing it. She headed upstairs to have a bath and got ready to leave for the market.

Annabeth loved the walks to the market. She would savor every single moment she could when she went out for these chores. She could meet the few friends she had in the market. Her best friend, Nico owned a small grocery shop nearby, and she would spend hours together talking to him. She would get scolded and punished later, but she always thought it was worth it. She told Nico everything and vice-versa. Nico had a crush on this guy named Will. Sadly, Nico didn't have the courage to do anything about it. It was so obvious they liked each other and yet, the two of them were too dumb to do anything about it.

As Annabeth was lost in her thoughts, she bumped into someone. She looked up to meet sea-green eyes. Captivating, beautiful eyes. She held her gasp and  mumbled a sorry as she moved aside and continued on. She had no idea who he was, but he occupied her thoughts until she reached Nico's shop.

She greeted Nico with a kiss on the cheek.

"Hey, Neeks. Where's Jason?"

"Somewhere off gallivanting with Piper," he said, rolling his eyes.

Annabeth laughed. They continued to talk, well more complain than talk, until the gong in the middle of the town sounded. An announcement was going to be made.

"The prince will be holding a ball to decide who his wife and the future queen of the country will be. The ball will be held a week from now and every eligible woman is required to attend. Thank you."

The girls in the market screamed. Annabeth rolled her eyes. It wasn't like she was not excited. She was. She just didn't see the need to squeal like that. There was the chance that Helen wouldn't allow her to attend. But, she didn't bother about that right now. She looked at Nico.

"You think Helen will allow me to go?"

"Honestly, nope."

Annabeth rolled her eyes and punched him. She waved goodbye and left to go back to the manor they lived in. As soon as she entered, Helen screamed at her. This time however, it wasn't because she was late. No, it was because she needed Annabeth to go tot he tailor and get the twins and herself a gown for the ball. How she knew about the ball was beyond Annabeth.

Annabeth also noticed how Helen failed to mention her name. Annabeth pondered on asking her.

"Could I go to the ball as well, Helen?"

"You? Of course not, dear. There is much too much work for you to attend a ball. Besides, it's not like the prince will choose you."

Annabeth rolled her eyes. She didn't expect anything else. She headed up to her attic, humming to herself. She decided o go to the tailor in the evening, and flopped onto her bed.. Thinking about the ball, she fell into a slumber.