Blood and Bandages

Annabeth was at home, watching TV. Her father, Helen, Bobby and Matthew were visiting their grandmother. Helen invited her to come, but she refused. She was afraid that something would happen to Percy when she was not at home and no one would be there to take care of him.

Percy was her best friend. They had been best friends since middle school, and no one could separate them. They were in their senior year of college, now. Annabeth hoped that this year would get over quickly. She wanted Percy to go to NYU as soon as possible. That's right, he got accepted. Sure, he was on a swimming scholarship, but he still got accepted.

Then, the doorbell rang. Annabeth went to the door. She was pretty sure who it was, but she really hoped it wasn't him. She opened the door to see Percy leaning, on the door's frame. He was sweating all over and his shirt was soaked with blood, especially his abdomen.

"Hey, Anna," he said, grinning.

"Oh my gods, Percy. Again?" She said, helping him onto the couch.

"You're acting as if you're surprised."

Annabeth closed the door and headed to the bathroom to get the first-aid kit. She sat on his lap, straddling him and pulled off his shirt. She gasped at what she saw.

"This has to stop, Percy," she said, grabbing a pair of tweezers.

"It's alright, Wise Girl. It's only for a few more months."

"You don't know what he's going to do next Percy! He just stabbed you with a beer bottle!" She said, pulling out the pieces of glass. Percy winced.

"I'm fine, Anna. I swear. I can't tell Mom. She'll be devastated. I can't do that to her. I can't go to the police. He has connections. I can't do anything except wait."

"She'll be devastated if she sees you in the hospital bed! What if the injury is too much for me to treat? You'll have to go to the damn hospital, you know that? And they will call your mom and she will find out!"

"I'm not going to the hospital, Annabeth. If he tries to do anything too fatal, I can dodge it. Besides, I have you and that's all I need."

"You're not getting it, Percy," she huffed, "You know, if you weren't bleeding this much right now, I would have ignored you for a long time."

"I'm sure you would have."

She stopped arguing with him and concentrated on treating his wounds. She began to clean the wound. She felt Percy wince. She ignored it and continued to dress his wounds. She finished. The only thought going on in her head right now was how chill Percy was with this. The thought of losing him was too much. Tears started dripping from her face. Thankfully, her head was down, so Percy didn't notice.

"So what happened?" She asked, clearing her throat.

"Well, not much different from the usual. He was drunk, I was sassy. He hit me. Only, this time it was with a glass bottle. At least, he doesn't hit my mom. If he did, this would have been over a long time ago," Percy said, "Hey, Annabeth? Are you crying? Why are you crying?"

"I can't bear to lose you, Percy. I can't. I have no idea what I would do you if I lost you."

"Hey, calm down," he said, hugging her, "I'm not going anywhere. Kay?"

"Mm hmm"

'Great going, Percy. You made her cry.'  Percy thought. He knows that Annabeth never cries. Although, he would be lying if he said that he wasn't the least bit happy. She was crying for him! If that isn't great, he didn't know what was.

"I love you," he said.

Annabeth looked up and smiled.

"I love you, too," she said, kissing him on the forehead.

It took him a second to realize that she didn't mean it in the same way. She meant it in a friendly way. Percy facepalmed. In his head. He couldn't actually do that. Not in front of her.

"Not like that," he muttered.

"Huh?"

"Nothing, never mind."

Annabeth got up and went to the kitchen. Percy immediately missed the warmth. He wanted to go behind her, but it hurt to get up. Annabeth came back with a couple of snacks and sat next to him. They watched TV for some more time, when Annabeth felt sleepy. She noticed that Percy had already fallen asleep on her shoulder. She woke him up.

"Come on, Percy let's go upstairs."

Percy just nodded and stood up. It hurt like a bitch, but he hid it. He didn't need Annabeth to worry even more. He already assured her a million times that he was alright. It would not be cool if she found out that it was hurting bad.

They went to Annabeth's room and lied on her bed. They snuggled up under the blankets, Annabeth being careful of Percy's wound. Soon, they fell asleep.  Annabeth fell asleep a little after Percy. She couldn't stop thinking about what would happen if the Gabe matter escalated.

The next morning, Percy woke up to an empty bed. He didn't worry too much. She was probably just making breakfast. He stood up and examined his wound in the mirror. It was getting better. Then, he noticed a paper, lying on the Annabeth's table. He opened it and cursed, after he managed to decipher what was written.

Dear Percy,

I couldn't sleep last night. You know why? Because I was thinking about you. I couldn't bear the fact that a situation could arrive where you could die. Your mother couldn't bear it and neither could I. So, I'm doing something which you might not like. Call me selfish, but I'm doing it. I'm telling your mother about Gabe. You are not going to stop me. I'm sorry. Please forgive me.

***

This is a relatively short one. Hope you like it.

Thank you for reading! Please vote and comment!