22 || dying

20th may 2019

20th may 2019

"
but then again,
maybe i kind of,
you know,
understand her.
"

"okay, let's see. the dwarf is the 8th pill, so it's death. the giant is the 3rd pill, so it's pain," chaewon said, pointing to the respective pill. "wait, i'll write it down," heejin mumbled, grabbing a piece of paper. "hey, med school, come solve it." jinsoul pulled haseul closer so that she could see. "sooyoung! you too, detective." sooyoung smiled.

haseul sat down and looked at the pills as well as the piece of paper with clues. "purple is pain since it's the colour of royalty, each end has the same effect so the first one is also death." cautiously, sooyoung leaned in front a little. "the, uh, swirly one is pain and the orange one is nothing according to elimination." haseul nodded, not making eye contact with sooyoung and gestured to heejin to jot it down.

"the fifth one is either death or nothing but the second one has to be nothing so the fifth one is death. okay, let's hope it's right..." haseul took the paper and read off it. "the order is death, nothing, pain, pain, death, pain, nothing, and death."

"mmm..."

the eight girls held each other's hands nervously, with jinsoul hugging dasom tightly.

"correct! as expected, our yonsei uni students."

ANSWER CORRECT
ANSWER =
1: DEATH
2: NOTHING
3: PAIN
4: PAIN
5: DEATH
6: PAIN
7: NOTHING
8: DEATH

all of them let out a biiiiig sigh of relief. "oH, thank god, i almost shat myself," hyunjin said, patting her chest. the other girls let out a laugh, then got stopped by haseul. "but... we shouldn't be so happy, three of us are..." her voice lowered and the atmosphere became silent and heavy. "dying."

"that's right, glad you haven't forgotten."

they could almost feel the game master smiling.

"the first one, shiny gold one, death, goes to hyunjin unnie."

hyunjin took in a sharp intake of breath and picked the pill up with trembling hands.

"you like chocolate right? that one's actually chocolate."

"number two, nothing. the bigger blue one. mmm... jinsoul unnie. this one's a blueberry gummy."

"number three, pain. haseul unnie. i made it nice and large for you. if you bite it, it's hella bitter."

"number four, the purple one. also pain. sooyoung unnie. you can't stand cough syrup, right? this one's cough syrup."

"number five... the tinier blue one, death. yerim unnie. it's a flavour you like. actually it's just sugar. but it's good, i think you'll like it."

"i... i'm starting to think death is the better option..." sooyoung mumbled. "yes... it's... weird," haseul said, wrinkling her eyebrows.

"the next pain, number six. the swirly one for heejin unnie. it tastes like soil and it's impossible to bite."

"seven. the orange one, nothing. it tastes like a ripe tangerine! hyejoo unnie, this one is yours."

"chaewon unnie, the last death is yours. it's really tiny so it's easy to swallow and even if you end up biting it, it'll taste like fruit punch."

they all picked their pills up respectively.

"so... i guess this is goodbye." chaewon smiled. hyejoo pulled her closer. "i've never told you that i liked you, so i just want to let you know now." she swept her hair aside, caressing her cheek. "r-really? i thought we were just friends." chaewon laughed a little, placing a small kiss on hyejoo's cheek. hyejoo looked into her eyes for a while, then kissed her full on the lips.

heejin hugged hyunjin tightly. "i'll miss you, honey." hyunjin nodded, tears in her eyes. "me too, darling." heejin kissed her lightly, then stroked her hair. "see you... some other time, i guess." hyunjin patted heejin on the head and smiled.

"okay, everyone ready?" haseul said after a deep breath. they all nodded, some rolling their pill around in their hand. they all took the pills at once, those who got the pain pills writhing in pain almost immediately.

the girls that got the death pill didn't feel anything. "is something supposed to happen?" chaewon asked, looking at her hands and then gasping. "oh my god, i'm fading..?" her hands were turning transparent, her consciousness fading as well. a while after her hands started turning transparent, butterflies started appearing. chaewon looked around and saw hyunjin like her too- it was just yerim without the butterflies.

it was chaos. before they knew it, there was a mess of turquoise and yellow butterflies in the room while the girls with the pain pill were slowly getting back up.

"i-it was like i was getting blown up from the inside..." sooyoung mumbled. "and the heat... it was so hot," heejin sniffled. "it was like there were little pellets hitting me too..." haseul sat on the floor, defeated.

"unnie... it's time."

haseul looked up. "what?"

it's time? time for what? maybe the game master is working with one of us... but who could it be?

haseul looked around. jung jinsoul, ha sooyoung, jo haseul, jeon heejin, son hyejoo...

what did they have in common? if it was someone here, who was it?

the game master said unnie, even to yeojin so she's younger than all of us. she's polite. she's a sweetheart.

but who?

jung jinsoul, ha sooyoung, jo haseul, jeon heejin, son hyejoo...

haseul looked up. "i... oh my god."

"what?" jinsoul said, holding dasom in her arms.

"it's hyejoo."

[ + + ]

yerim's flashback chapter is 4.5 so 22.3 and 22.6 are just hyunjin and chaewon

i released an applyfic! you should go check it out,,, it's called "guardian angel" and as you can tell from the title, it's about guardian angels :D

did you guess it was hyejoo?