Home at Last (15)

Anyone care to tell me what yearthis is? Five asks not caring about his siblings' confusion. Number Five and Y/N enter the kitchen, heads straight for thefridge. The others follow them, still hopelessly confused.  What are you doing? Luther asks. 

Making our sandwiches. Do you know howlong it's been since we've eatensolid food? Five opens the fridge door. Luther slams it shutagain.  Five glances up, annoyed. 

 You look ridiculous, by the way, says Five to the ape-man. 

It's been 22 years, Number Five.Where have you been?  Luther questions.  It's been a lot longer than that, is all Five says. Y/N remains silent, yet her stomach gurgles causing Five to open the fridge again, and dig out some ingredients. 

What happened to you guys? Vanya asks quietly. Five ignores her for a minute and stands on a chair so he can reach the counter. Hebegins slathering mayonnaise on bread.

What do you think happened? Idecided to test the limits of mytime jumping with Y/N, see how far we'd go. Turns out, pretty far. 

Klaus elbows Diego. Diego grudgingly passes him five bucks. 

Finished with the sandwiches, he hands one to Y/N who remained quiet for the time being.

Dad always warned me not to go toofar into the future. On account ofmy jumps only working in onedirection. This time, he was right. Five takes a bite of his sandwich. Christ, I needed that.Allison sits down across from the two kids, studying them. Then how did you get back? is all she asks. Y/N answers through a mouthful of sandwich:  By projecting his consciousnessbackwards into a suspended quantumstate version of himself that existsin every possible instance of time. Five looks at her proudly.  

That makes no sense. Diego retorts. It would if you were smarter. Replies Five causing the h/c girl to snort. Five takes another bite. Granted, it did take me a littletime to work out all the nuts andbolts of it... Y/N rolls her eyes at this

How much time? asks Allison

Ahh...52 years. Give or take. The couple says at the same time

 You're both sixty-two? Diego asks amazed.

 No, our consciousness is 62. I guess our bodies are still ten. But, the pointis, Dad said it couldn't be doneand I did it. So. The child looks around. Where is the old bastard, anyway? Iwant to rub it in his face.  Five! the girl interjects, language, he is still our dad

He died three days ago. Luther interjects. The boy stares at him, chewing, his face impassive. Natural causes? Y/N asks. 

 Yes. Diego says quickly. We don't know. Luther responds.  

Well. That complicates things. Five says and holds Y/N hand.  

What kind of things? Luther asks. 

 All kinds of things. replies a solemn Y/N 

What's today'sdate? The exact date? Five asks the room.

The, uh, 14th. I think. Allison replies 

Of what? 

July.The couple frowns, clearly dismayed.  

Hmm. Doesn't leave us much time.