ix.

( joannabird 's instagram story )

"ive never told you this, but loki deserved better

"ive never told you this, but loki deserved better." joanna suddenly said, grabbing tom's hand. "he's my favourite fucking character."

they were both too many drinks deep at this point, sat together in the corner of the pub, sitting close to hear each other as best they could in the loud room.

"i could write an essay about it!"

"that's sweet, i definitely agree. thanks for liking him." tom laughed, feeling flattered and suddenly shy.

"no i don't think you're understanding the gravity of my love for that kid. you did such an amazing job tom. izzy has made me watch all of the marvel movies over the last few months and they're good, but loki just hits different!"

"do you want to know a secret?" tom laughed, and when joanna frantically nodded and moved closer to him as if he was about to whisper, he continued. "disney want to do a series about him."

"no way. are you fucking with me?" joanna audibly gasped, "because that is not cool tom hiddleston."

"darling" he drew out, "i would never."

"that's so cool! izzy is gonna die."

"haha really? izzy seems great, by the way."

joanna nodded then finished the rest of her drink in one gulp. "she's the best, her and joe are just the family ive never really had."

"who's joe?"

"my best friend, hes an actor too actually. ever seen call me by your name?"

joe and joanna had met through mutual friends when they were both fresh on the acting scene, poor and had no clue what they were doing.

"oh fuck is he elio? that movie is amazing, so is he actually."

"yeah, elio forever man." joanna grinned, happy that tom had seen one of her favourite movies of all time, not that she was biased or anything. "do you want another drink? i think we should definitely get more drinks." joanna went to get up but stopped when she felt tom place a hand on her arm.

"don't worry about it love, i'll grab them. another of the same?" he said, gesturing to the empty vodka tonic in front of joanna.

joanna smiled as he walked away, witnessing tom be the gentleman that everyone said he was. what she didn't see however, was that tom had offered to get the drinks not only as a kind gesture, but to avoid joanna having to go near the men that had been staring at her front barstools since they'd arrived. tom had felt a sense of protectiveness over joanna since he had met her and whether she had noticed it or not, didn't want her going near anyone that could possibly cause her harm or make her feel uncomfortable.

"hey," tom was met with joanna grinning at him as he got back to the table, handing her a drink. "thank you so much."

"no problem." he smiled back, "so where were we?"

"joe and the modern classic call me by your name!"

"of course yeah, so who else do you know in the acting world?"

joanna rested her chin in her palm as she thought about his question.

"too many people." she chuckled breathlessly. "a lot of my closest friends are actors, but i used to also have a bad habit of exclusively dating actors who loved to break my heart, so ive been sort of stepping away from that recently."

"oh really? then i'd like to apologise for all actors, we're clearly fuckers to have put you off of us that badly."

"it might just be men in general."

"i think you might be right. we're completely useless." tom laughed, causing joanna to chuckle along with him. "i can't see how anyone could break your heart though, birdy."

"you'd be surprised." she raised her eyebrows, taking a sip of her drink. "but what about you? how come you're single?"

"i just haven't found the right person, i suppose."

joanna smiled at tom and took his hand.

"you will."

tom was the first one to look away from the shared eye contact they had been holding. as soon as he did, joanna dropped his hand and smiled at her lap when she heard tom let out a breath and chuckle.

"hey, do you wanna do some shots?"