Chapter 9

Chapter 9

*Roxanne Cain*

I stood in the Greenwood Cemetery awaiting the arrival of one of my closest friends, but my mind was elsewhere. I had barely been able to focus on anything else since Jace had brought me home and the drive here was no better as I swerved from side to side, my train of thought affecting my abilities to drive.

Aside from the kiss that my mind would wander to every now and then, I kept wondering about his parent’s deaths. What Jason told me about it was unusual. Witches were careful, we know how to play with fire so for one's house to burn in one was very odd. We live our entire lives learning to control our powers and how to manipulate the elements. It struck me as odd that a Witch could lose control like that on a full moon of all nights. Something didn't add up, which was a feeling that I was getting a lot since arriving at this town. I checked my phone for the time and saw that it was just a few minutes past midnight. She should be here soon.

I was trying hard not to shiver in the wind and the thin, blood-red dress that I wore did nothing to help with that and neither did the black lace cloak. The urge to bring flames to my cold skin was nagging at me, but I pushed the thought away. It was no use, especially since I heard the crunching of leaves and the snap of a twig as it was stepped on, but I didn't bother to turn as I knew felt the familiar presence near me.

"Annabelle, it's nice to finally meet again." Amara greeted. The joy and relief was evident in her voice, but she remained calm.

"We have a lot to discuss and the first thing that must go is that name. They know me as Roxanne Cain here and they cannot know otherwise." I warned, still observing the large tree that should’ve been peppered with white and pink buds. Now it lay dead, awaiting winter’s arrival. No one needed to know that just yet and, as much as it pained me to lie to the people who have to trust me with their lives, it's for their own safety as well as mine. If they knew who I was, they would be in more danger than they already are from just knowing me.

"Duly noted. Though I do wonder why I am here. You are fully capable of forming a coven, why would you need me?" She asked walking closer to me as we fell into step with each other heading towards the car parked not too far away. She radiated happiness, although her voice stayed neutral as we walked side by side, not bothering a glance at the other.

"Oh Amara, I fear that danger is near and you are a strong and powerful witch with training and experience that they extremely lack. I cannot protect them alone and that is what I need.” I said strictly, trying to get it across to her that I meant every word. “I need them safe Amara, no harm can come to them." I said strictly, trying to get it across to her that I meant every word.

'I want them safe. I want him safe.' My subconscious interjected.

"Who's' him'?" Amara asked out of the blue, curiosity detectable in her voice as we entered the warm and heated confines of the car.

"Did I say that out loud?" I asked slightly embarrassed. I could feel the heat crawling up my neck at the thought of the kiss we had shared. Damn, this boy. This wasn't a part of the plan.

"Oh Anne, don't you remember my affinity?" She laughed.

I racked my brain trying to remember when it dawned on me. Amara has the power over minds. She can make you do and feel things or erase your memory. She can see your past and most of all she can read your mind. Of course there is a way to block her if you are strong enough, but most people aren't capable of doing it while others don't know that they had to do it, then there’s me and I think it’s too much energy wasted on a pointless secret. I had the power to do just about anything and it wasn't hard for me to block her out of my head, but certain needs must come first and she is necessary to fulfilling those.