Chapter 15

Chapter 15

*Edna Greenslade*

"They wished to warn you, my love." Drake recounted. "They are preparing to fight."

"Fight for what? This is justice. I will destroy them just as they have destroyed my family." I couldn't hide the bewilderment in my voice.

I had failed years ago. I vowed that the death of the oh-so powerful Annabelle Chamberlaigne would be by my hand. I swore to end her bloodline just as they had tried to suppress my family's gifts so many decades ago. The difference that I do not  intend to make is that I refuse to fail. They will pay with their lives.

"But the girl?" I inclined to my slave.

"The youngest is under our compulsion and they are all oblivious." He reported with pride, but I couldn’t help the disgust to cross my face. At least the boy could do one thing right.

"Good." I turn away, watching the early sunrise as it sent shades of color across the sky, pink, violet, and deep orange smearing together in the sky.

"I swear on the Goddess that she will pay, her and her family. And anyone who thinks they can stand in my way is highly delusional." I mutter more to my self rather than for his benefit.

________________________________________________________________

*Roxanne Cain*

I woke up once more. This time in the arms of a sleeping Jason and I was presented with an opportunity to just watch him. His golden hair was in a disarray. His entrancing lips were slightly parted. His breathing was shallow and even, his arms securely wrapped around my waist, locking me in place by his side.

It wasn't until now that I realized that one of my legs was resting between both of his and we were entangled in a deep embrace. My head was pillowed on his shoulder and my hand was gripping his shirt in my sleep, leaving it slightly crumpled now.

I let my fingers stroke his face, trailing from his cheek to his chin. "I'm sorry." I whispered, closing my eyes and leaving a gentle kiss on the corner of his mouth.

Then the boy proved that he always does what I couldn't expect. His hand reached up, seizing my wrist and his face turned, leaving only centimeters of space between our lips. "For what, baby?"

I could feel my cheeks heat. He wasn't supposed to hear that. "For all the trouble I'm about to cause all of you."

He looked at me with eyes that read an emotion that I haven't seen in 2 years. "It couldn't be that bad," he consoled.

I shook my head. If he only knew, but he'll learn soon enough. Anyone with a sane mind would be hurling themselves out of my way. They would run to the other end of the world to stay clear of me and the danger I would bring them especially after all that had happened last night. But this boy beside me didn’t push me away. Instead, he held me close. He consoled me in my nightmares and watched me sleep. He shouldn’t.

I rose from the bed, trying to distance myself a bit. For me or for him, I didn’t know. 'Don't get to attached.' My brain tells at me.

So I walked into my closet, choosing Jean shorts and a white tank top, contemplating how I truly feel about the boy in my bed. I couldn’t tell anymore who I was protecting. My heart or his life? Could it be both? I know I said those the word to him last night, but do I really love him?

'Yes, yes you do!' My heart tells.

My body certainly responds to him and the magick had taken a life of its own, sparking at mere touch. But my mind isn't so sure, constantly telling me to stay away and after last night, the reason for distance was harshly pounded into my head again. It was the right thing to do after all.