Chapter 18: Celebration

[Marcus POV]

We haven't reached the place yet I'm already burnt out. All my energy has been spent trying those clothes over and over again.

What amazed me was that my father is now expressing his outmost affection to my mother as though we didn't experience the ordeal back then.

These two have their own world right now so I just shifted my gaze to the window of our carriage and stare at the light from the moon shone on those luscious trees until the ride is over.

---

The royal guard confirmed our invitation and guide us inside. I stood there, my mouth agape, when I saw the grandiose place before me.

The royalties should never be underestimated; how much was needed to put a celebration such as this?! I look around everywhere, the glittering decoration and elegant lights matches the theme perfectly. I was mentally calculating the total cost when my father put his hands on my shoulder, letting me know that the king was there to greet us.

"How have you been Arthur?" The King spoke to us. Even with that calm voice of his, the powerful and charismatic aura was still there.

"We are fine, your majesty. It was a pleasure to be invited by your family", My father said and we bow down to the majesty.

The King assured my father,"No need to be formal, Arthur. You've been my friend ever since before so it is normal for you to be invited. Oh, your son grows into a handsome young man", he looks at me with a kind smile.

"He studies at the same academy as my son,right? How was he there?", His majesty said to me. This reminds me of those parents that are asking the performance of their kids.

"Yes, your majesty. He was doing good at school. In fact, he excels to our subjects and he was also popular to others"

"I see, then shall I ask you some favor? Can you befriend him and maybe he can learn a thing from you that being second has no place in this world", he asked and offered a handshake to me

...the fuck?

My eyes twitched but I immediately masked it with a smile and accepted his handshake. But what was that just now? Is he comparing Skyler to me just because of our test results before? Or was that some kind of riddle that I don't comprehend?

Look here sire, I am a reincarnated person who died at an accident, of course so I am far ahead than them in our academy lessons but is your talk necessary? I must say that Skyler is already an excellent student.

But I can't say this directly at the King, can I?

After a few discussions, the king excused himself and went to other guests.

My mother gushes and pinches my cheeks,"My Marcus is really handsome and smart too~".

She continuously compliment me when she suddenly whispered, "but that King's personality doesn't sit well with you,right?"

She saw right through me.

My father butted in, "But the majesty didn't mean any ill intentions, he was just being overprotective for the prince and that competitive personality of his never change. For now, you should enjoy this event". I don't know how to answer them so I just nodded. After a while, they went to their friends and business partners in order to socialize and left me here at the table.

There are people who talked to me which I presume are also the children of nobles.

The conversation was easy to handle, thanks for the experiences back when I talked with many customers from different part time jobs I had in my previous life. Expanding my social circle might help me in my current investigation so I maintain my smile and composure while having a discussion.

Even though if I have enough experience, I am still not used with long discussion.

I excused myself for a while to get some fresh air which they agreed and we went on separate ways. I looked for a nearby veranda when my eyes fell upon to different desserts laid on the table. I tried not to drool but these foods look scrumptious, my eyes lit up when I found my favorite dessert, cupcakes. So I look for a plate to get some and went ahead to the veranda.

This veranda has a great view — I can see the garden as well as the main entrance of the palace, I munch on my sweets while adoring the scene in front of me. It is a waste that my butler, Freed, is not here he might enjoy these kind of place. But this is not the only reason that I came here;

When I ensured that everyone in the event are enjoying themselves, I locked the door and brought out my compact telescope that was hidden on my suit.

I know that this is an event to flash your status or befriend people who will strengthen your status masked as 'royal celebration' so if my intuition is right then those people are here to improve their social standing, so I wait until I see them while I munched on the last piece.

A few moments later, my guess was verified; four carriages were lined up outside and the people on those carriage went down to verify their invitation to the royal guard.

I gulped when I saw those people entering the palace.

When I think of what are the possibilities will happen tonight, my heart rate went fast.

I bit my nails to alleviate my agitation since I knew from the start; I cannot avoid my death let alone find a single person who can be at my side no matter what.

That's right, because right now, the families of people whom I suspected; George, Regine, Melissa, and Juniper are now here in the celebration.

--

Author's note:

I really want to thank you for your support on my first book!! I can't believe that it reached a couple thousand views. I'll try to make a fluid explanation as I can