Chapter 20: Happy Birthday

[Marcus POV]

I leaned against the wall of hedge maze catching up my breath.

This is shit.

I ran everywhere but I didn't manage to find any of them. I looked up and stared at the night Sky

"It seems today is a full moon. How nice."

The view is worth admiring that I didn't notice that a brown haired girl is walking to the garden, before she noticed that she's not alone, I squat between the bushes and hid.

A bit later, Skyler came and bumped suddenly with that girl which made her fell to the ground

"Are you okay? I'm sorry I didn't looked at where I am going." Skyler offered his hand which she accepted.

"No, It is my fault. I didn't notice that you are here, Prince"

"What is your name?"

"This humble one is called Sophie Erica Jones", she bowed 90° at him.

The flowers and leaves are swaying from the soft rustling of the wind. The sound of the cicadas gave a serene ambiance; two of them shared the moment while stared deeply at each other under the bright moonlight.

Wow, these two suit each other

Of course it is,

Since that girl is the heroine of this novel.

So am I at the scene where they first met? This looks perfect I must say. If only someone doesn't look like he is imitating a pooping chicken. Me.

I looked like an idiot hiding in these bushes. Why did I get in this kind of situation?! Seriously, can those two leave now, I need to look for my suspect, you know? So stop having a small talk. Damn it, I can't move around freely if these two are here.

I was preparing myself to run when they leave when I heard a rustling sound above.

Above?

I slowly raised my head and met a person who is standing at one of the tree branches,wearing dark cloak and a mask.

I can feel it, that bloodlust coming from him. I felt a shiver on my spine when he peered at me.

That fucking main boss

I gulped. I like taking risks right? Then freaking out is not an option at this moment. I need to be brave if I want to live– so I stood up and ran to where he is

"Hey Marc—", I heard Skyler calling me.

Nevermind the prince, I must go where that bastard is. When that cloaked person noticed that I'm heading to his direction, he jumped to another branch. And jumped to another. Until he's not on the vicinity anymore.

I clicked my tongue and kicked the tree. It is within my reach right now, so why?!

My heart skipped a beat when someone grabbed my arm. Shit. Don't tell me—

"Marcus!! Why are you going off  again?! I asked that girl if she saw you! Seriously, it is dangerous right now so don't wander out!"

Goodness!! I thought I'm gonna die!! Stop appearing suddenly Skyler!

I calmed myself and turn around,
".. Dangerous?"

"I felt the murderous aura earlier! I'll talk with someone to investigate this but right now just go inside! Look even that girl went back!", Skyler pointed where Sophie was earlier.

So he also felt that earlier?

I sighed, "Now, now. Calm down. No one is here so it's not risky anymore."

Because that fucker fled.

His grip tightened,"Even so—"

He got cut off by the loud crackling sound. We turned towards that sound and before us, colorful fireworks lit up the sky.

I almost forgot. I didn't greet him properly today, right?

I stared to those beautiful fireworks and smiled at him, "Happy Birthday Skyler"

"...W-what's with that sudden attitude?" He arched his brow.

"You are now 15 years old, right? Congratulations"

His grip slightly loosen,"T-thanks?"

I looked at my arm that he wasn't holding and check the time, "Seems I still have some minutes left till the end of your birthday. What is your wish? I'll do it as long as it is within my abilities."

Skyler is still bewildered at my change of actions. I can't blame him, he just felt that killing intent but here I am, asking his birthday wish.

"F-fine if you say so. Then when I call you, come immediately to where I am."

I tilt my head and slightly smiled,"Is that all?"

"Yes. Just once is enough! Seriously. You ran off too much, no? Ever since the event started, you always went out by yourself."

"Okay Fine"

"Promise me?"

"Yes, your highness. I promise. Didn't you know?" I smiled and lazily swept my hair , "I am the greatest Marcus so that kind of meager wish is easy for me"

"Seriously, this kid", he heavily sighed.

My vein popped.

The fuck?

Technically I'm older this guy. It's just that Marcus is months younger than Skyler!

"I don't know what brings you here but," He ran his hand on my head and there, I saw he held piece of leaf

Did that fell when I kicked the tree?

He had a slight troubled expression,"It is dangerous since someone might lurking here. You ought to take care of yourself, Marcus"

He tugged my arm,"Lets go inside. Your parents might be looking for you"

---

We went home after the party. I ordered Freed to prepare me a nice bath. I just want to relax because of that trouble earlier.

I dipped myself on the rose bath prepared for me and ponder out.

I mean, I understand that those four are there since it is a must but why did ALL of them immediately went home at the same time? Even if the celebration is not yet done?

When I asked around, those four went home after the commotion.

Most importantly, why that person already wore a mask? I thought the story will start when we turned second year? Then why did the main boss appeared now?

I finished my bath and went to my information room.

I wrote what happened earlier in a piece of paper and stick it to the wall.

I took a deep breath.

I need to be cautious or a slight mistake might bring me a huge consequences.

Since the first year term ended and we are now sophomores.

The main story will unfold right now.