Chapter Nine

They say that people in love are fools. Some would agree, and some people don’t unless they try it to understand that it is making a person a fool. They do foolish things, even if you are a rational person. People can’t understand love and meaning of it. When it struck you, there’s no turning back. Its a wound that will always be there. When its gone, memories are still there, the struggles and feelings too, like how scars is after being wounded.

I felt the wind blew on me, and my skin felt relax for that. Even all my nerves are in tension, the breeze in this balcony helps me calm while standing with his parents. Humarap ako sa kanila pagkatapos akong hayaang humingang malalim at makapag-isip ng maayos.

Kaming tatlo lamang ang andito na nag-uusap. Ate Jan entertained our friends, Joji was out of my sight and his parents decided to talk to me again, after our lunch. Labag sa kalooban ni ate Jan na iwan ako sa dalawa, ngunit, ako na ang nag-udyok sa kanyang ayos lang.

Nakaupo ang mag-asawa sa mga victorian styled steel chairs na nakapalibot sa isang round table habang ako ay tumayo dito sa harap ng balkonahe para tignan ang view na nakikita ko. It was the sea. I didn’t expect that this house was almost at the seaside.

“Iha, are you relax now? You can sit here with us if you want.” ang Papa ni Joji.

Hinarap ko sila, ngumiti ako at umiling na lamang.

“We don’t bite. We just want to talk with you.” pabiro ang tunog ng ginang kaya pinanatili ko ang aking ngiti.

“Okay lang po ako dito.”

“Okay. You can sit here later, if you want.”

The maids walked in with their teas in a tray. Nilapag nila iyon sa lamesa. Hinarap ko na lang ulit ang tanawin sa likod ko. I closed my eyes and let the breeze touch me.

“Dennise, we want to know if you are sure about our son. We can arrange the engagement.”

Nagulat ako doon, nilingon ang dalawang matanda na nakaupo. Si Tito Change na nagbabasa ng newspaper habang si Tita Carina ay sumimsim sa kanyang tsaa.

“P-Po?” ibinaba ng ginang ang tasa, at tinignan ako ng masinsinan.

“We told you, anak, we hate half-ass people. Getting arrange to Joji means you are really sure to him and get laid with him.” kumunot ang noo ko.

“Akala ko po ba yung pamilya ninyo ay nagpapakasal lamang doon sa gusto ng pamilya niyo?” I said, she only looked at me, like I said something ridiculous.

“Must be the other Daniel family. My sons doesn’t deserve to be forced on a fixed marriage. And mind you we already like you, that even Joji doesn’t deserve you. We must thank you for liking him. But, do you love my son?” it was a straightforward dead question.

I stilled. I don’t know what to answer to that. I don’t even think that this is love at first sight, clearly, I didn’t like him when we first met. I feel comfortable around him, and I can even do what I want with him because he supports me. But, love?

“As you said, Tita, I’m still young. I don’t know what that love is. But, I think I can’t let go of your son. I can’t imagine him being with someone that isn’t me.”

Buong puso kong sinabi iyon sa kanila. Magkahawak ang aking mga kamay sa aking dibdib, kinakabahan ako sa isasagot nila sa akin pero yun ang totoo. I squeeze my hands and let my eyes see that. Thats the only thing I can do genuinely to Joji and to his parents, being honest with my feelings to them.

Naramdaman ko na lang ang hawak sa aking mga balikat kaya tumingala ako. It was Tita Carina. She held me in place while looking at me gently. Her eyes was twinkling with delight and softness. Parang babasaging manika ako na kung baka tignan niya ako ng masama ay baka magkaroon ng sugat.