ix. what we do is secret.

head in the clouds. chapter nine.
SUMMARY ; margo spends the day ignoring jeffrey after he upsets her.

throw on your dress and put on your doll faces
everyone thinks that we're perfect
please don't let them look through the curtains
——

THE FOLLOWING MORNING margo awoke laying on her bed, tucked under the sheet and heavy comforter, she brought her hands up under the blankets to rub at her eyes, scrubbing away the sleepiness. she glanced to the bedside table clock, seeing the numbers 9:47am her heart almost stopped. why hadn't anyone woken her up? surely they should've been at one of the parks by now. fear overcoming the girl, margo shot up out of bed, flinging open the door to sprint out of the room.

"jeffrey?!" margo yelled out, rushing towards his and her mother's bedroom. the house was dead silence, so quiet margo could hear the floor boards creak under her footsteps. after searching the empty bedroom, margo sprinted down the staircase, almost tripping over her own footsteps. kitchen and living room were both vacant, and margo's heart rate was beginning to speed up. had something happened in the middle of the night? the last thing she remembered was falling asleep on jeffrey in the trolly ride to the car. margo placed her hands in the roots of her hair and tugged, trying her hardest to remember anything else.

until her eyes caught sight of a figure outside in the backyard where the pool was, they were pacing and they had their arm bent up to hold something against their ear. margo squinted, her eyebrows furrowing as she walked closer, when the person turned her way and she saw it was jeffrey, she let out a quiet sigh of relief, her shoulders falling forward and her muscles relaxing, margo opened up the patio door.

"why are you out here? i got scared, where's mom?" margo spoke softly, her face falling when jeffrey put a finger up to his lips, signaling for her to be quiet. the blonde frowned, sitting down in one of the long chairs by the pool as she watched jeffrey listen to someone talk on the phone. margo pulled her legs up to cross them under her, awaiting for jeffrey to hang up the phone.

"no, that won't work. tell them i fucking paid for it so it better be there on time! that's bullshit, call me if anyone else fucks up." with an irritated sigh, jeffrey brought the phone away from his ear, clicking the end call button. margo blinked, watching him rub his hands down his face, he seemed to be angry. "what's wrong?" the blonde asked, sounding almost hesitant, surely something had to be wrong for him to be cursing at an early hour of the morning, and for her to be allowed to sleep in until almost ten while on vacation.

"just something's for work... uh, your mom went to visit a friend or whatever the fuck that means, i don't know, tink," jeffrey breathed out another heavy sigh as he sat down on the edge of the chair margo was on in front of her, his arms stretching out behind him to press his palms against the metal part that held the chair up. margo eyed his attire, grey sweatpants and a white tee, she was almost positive no one else could look that good in simple clothing.

"are you mad at me?" the blonde quietly asked, referring to his small outburst on her the night prior. jeffrey furrowed his eyebrows, turning to look at the girl as he shook his head. she seemed so afraid he would've still been angry with her, he could see the anxiety in her eyes and the unhappy expression on her face, the sight made his heart hurt. "no, of course not, tink." he assured her, moving his hand to place it on her thigh, right above her knee.

"your mom wasn't very happy about me comforting you the way i did when all that shit happened on the plane, she said since she's my wife i should've been with her and not you, can you believe that? how fucking selfish is she," jeffrey shook his head, his tongue against poking the inside of his cheek, margo stared at the side of his face, her fingers fiddling together in her lap. she swallowed the lump in her throat, it didn't entirely shock her, the only part that confused margo was why she would care when she was cheating on jeffrey, surely she didn't care about him so it couldn't have hurt her feelings.