xiv. a nightmare.

head in the clouds. chapter fourteen.
SUMMARY ; diana finds out.

and if you were my little girl
i'd do whatever i could do
i'd run away and hide with you
——

THE DUO ENTERED the house late that night, after the lantern show they had stopped for dinner at the first restaurant with seating they saw, margo was exhausted and they were both eager to go to sleep in their beds. jeffrey carried margo on his back the whole way to the jeep, keeping a grip under her thighs to keep her up as she fell asleep slumped against him. jeffrey carefully placed her in the passenger seat and made sure to buckle her seatbelt before softly closing her door and rounding the car.

"mar, hey, sweetheart.. we're home," jeffrey spoke to the unconscious girl as he turned the car off and grabbed the keys from the ignition. he placed his hand on her thigh and lightly shook her awake, margo stirred as she whined, her eyes squeezing shut before opening them. jeffrey hit the button to unbuckle her seatbelt, carefully unwrapping it from the front of her body. jeffrey exited the vehicle to head over to her side, opening the door and picking margo up by her underarms to place her on her feet beside him. he shut her door and then placed a hand on the small of her back to lead her to the front door.

diana's car was in the driveway, which meant she was home, and jeffrey would be lying if he said that didn't disappoint him, it would've done the same to margo if she wasn't so sleepy and noticed her mother's car in the first place.

jeffrey stuck the house key into the hole and turned it before twisting the door handle. he let margo enter first, making sure the blonde crossed the threshold before he shut the door behind him. "just go up to bed, prince-"

jeffrey stopped at the sight of diana siting at the dinning room table, her hands folded in her lap, her gaze straight forward and her jaw tightly clenched. the chandelier hanging above her was shining bright, but the house was completely silent, no tv had been turned on which was highly unlike the woman, she never sat alone in their house back at home in the quiet, let alone one as big this one was.

jeffrey's was about to ask what was wrong until his eyes noticed a piece of black fabric on the wooden dinning table. jeffrey's mouth fell open as he realized what it was, and if there was ever a time in his life that his heart stopped for a solid second, it was in that moment. margo hadn't been paying much attention to the scene, she didn't care much about her mother's angriness, not until she felt jeffrey's whole demeanor change and one glance at him told her she wouldn't be going to bed anytime soon.

"why is my underwear on the table?-"

"i don't know, margo. why was your underwear on the floor of my fucking bedroom!" diana shot up out of the chair, causing it to fall backwards at the sudden force, margo flinched at the loud sound the chair made made when it collided with the ground. jeffrey could feel his heart rate speed up against his chest, his teeth clenching together. diana shot daggers at the two, her nostrils flaring in anger. jeffrey couldn't think of a way out of this one, there was no way out, not for him at least.

"i'll explain everything, okay? margo, just go upstairs-"

"no! she's just as fucking guilty as you are so her ass stays here!" diana exclaimed, her voice shaking with either how angry she was or because of how loud she was screaming, maybe both. despite the horrifying situation at hand, jeffrey's protectiveness over margo still found a way to shine through, especially when he glanced over at the blonde and saw her eyes glossed over with fearful tears, her gaze locked onto the ground below her, almost like she was silently begging for it to open up and swallow her whole.