xviii. what we know.

head in the clouds. chapter nineteen.
SUMMARY ; margo tries talking jeffrey into running away with her.

romeo take me somewhere we can be alone
i'll be waiting, all that's left to do is run
you be the prince and i'll be the princess
——

MARGO HAD A question lingering in her head, she was too afraid to ask, too scared to hear his response and it not be what she was hoping for, it would ruin the atmosphere and just make things awkward between the two if they didn't agree. margo wondered what jeffrey thought the purpose of this was, was it purely to find closure for him? the thought of that crushed margo, that he would've been okay if it meant he just got one more night but this time around he knew it was the last.

"would you ever.. actually be with me?" the blonde had no idea how to word it and she wasn't sure if the question even made sense, but jeffrey being who he was — practically the margo whisperer — understood exactly what she meant. the man glanced down at the girl leaning against him, before he looked back up to the tv in front of them. he hesitated for a mere moment, but not because of what he thought, but because of what he knew. despite him wanting nothing more than to spend the rest of his days with the blonde, he knew better.

margo's mind would change a few years down the road, she wouldn't stay this little sixteen year old forever, she wouldn't forever think the world of jeffrey. once she grew up and no longer needed him there for every waking moment like she thought she did, she would move on. it pained him to know this, but the outcome was inevitable. though he didn't think his mind wouldn't ever change, he meant it when he said he loved her. 

"we could move somewhere, you can get a different job-"

"margo, there isn't a state in this county where it's legal for us to be together, so moving isn't helping us that much," jeffrey told the blonde. he wasn't trying to sound ignorant or like he was belittling her, but margo sometimes took it that way whenever he was truly just telling her the truth, though he babied and coddled the girl so much he couldn't blame her for never wanting to hear the truth, she so rarely did.

"okay fine, so we can wait until i'm eighteen," margo shrugged a shoulder, as if it was the most simple solution to the problem. margo kept her eyes set on the tv screen hung up on the wall above the burning fire place, she was almost afraid to look up at the man. jeffrey moved the one hand that was rested on her shoulder, and instead moved it up to cup the back of her head, gently bringing her closer to him to kiss her temple.

"i need you to promise to listen to me, and not throw one of your little tantrums, alright?" jeffrey softly told the girl, he needed her to know what he knew, maybe she wouldn't fully understand right now but that was okay, he just needed her to trust him on this. the last thing he would ever want is to hold margo back or worst, they do go through with this and then five years from now margo blames him for taking advantage of her in her vulnerable state, and she fully hates her sixteen year old self for being so dramatic and running off with the man that she would then be stuck with.

jeffrey knew it would happen, and he'd be damned if he'd be the reason why margo threw her life away.

"promise," margo mumbled, her hands coming up from underneath the blanket to grab onto one of jeffrey's, anxiously starting to fiddle with his fingers, it was something to distract herself whilst he talked, and something was telling margo she wasn't going to like what he was about to say. jeffrey watched the girl for a small moment more, taking everything in, and he truly had to remind himself that he was doing the right thing to stop himself from springing up off that couch, grabbing his keys and the girl and fleeing the state.  but that would be the selfish thing to do, and if there's one thing that jeffrey wasn't when it came to margo it was selfish.