xx. parting ways.

head in the clouds. final chapter.
SUMMARY ; margo adjusts to life without jeffrey.

never mind, i'll find someone like you
i wish nothing but the best for you
——

THE NEXT FEW years seemed to go by in a flash, the first christmas without jeffrey was an odd one, considering margo and her mother still weren't on the best of terms, but they were getting better, and considering diana's love language was giving gifts that christmas was a good one for the girl, but no amount of presents or money spent on her could've filled the gap where jeffrey was missing. there were many sleepless nights where margo stayed up and cried into the jacket he had given her the last time she saw him, but day by day she was getting better, she was adjusting to life without jeffrey, just like he knew she would.

it wasn't easy, and there were times margo still thought of the man and her heart hurt, but she was managing. she went back to speaking to her friends instead of just sitting there, she knew she could never go back to the girl she used to be, she was long gone, but her friends told her how proud they were of her for moving on, so she guessed she was making enough progress to the point they could notice.

the day came where she turned eighteen, she graduated high school, she attended college in the fall, and margo was forced to grow up. that spoiled little blonde brat was truly nowhere to be found, the situation with jeffrey matured her more than she ever thought it would, she had been given everything she wanted her whole life, when the day came that the one thing she wanted most didn't have a price tag on it, and the world refused to give it to her, that changed her whole perspective on life. it really did steer her personality away from the girl she was when jeffrey first met her, which was someone no one was really sure she would grow out of.

and as for jeffrey, he continued on with his daily routine, go to work 9-5, meet with the guys at the bar to watch some random football game that he forgot who won by the time he got home, then repeat the following day. there were constantly girls at the bar hitting on him, friends of the guys's girlfriends they would bring along all reaching for the empty spot next to him, but jeffrey truly just was not ready for another relationship just yet.

his relationship with diana failed, then the whole situation with margo, jeffrey wasn't sure if he would ever be able to date again, and that honestly didn't bother him as much as he thought it should've. jeffrey couldn't bring himself to cut all ties with the blonde, they remained friends on social media, though it was like an unspoken rule to not interact with any of one another's posts, they stayed friends simply just to watch what each other were up to.

jeffrey saw margo's senior pictures, her graduation pictures, her first college visit, her move in day to her new dorm, it was all bittersweet. he was over the moon happy for the girl, she had moved on with her life—which was why he made the decision that he did, margo needed to do these things, and she couldn't have if he gave in to her sixteen year old self and ran off.

jeffrey knew the post was coming eventually, he knew margo would find a boy she liked in just a matter of time. but that didn't stop the way his heart sunk to his stomach the morning he saw it, it broke his heart to see it, but he needed to. the lucky guy was a dark haired boy, a senior at the college margo attended, he was tall and his biceps were the size of margo's head, but jeffrey didn't expect anyone different.

despite the slight bitterness in his chest, he was so proud of the girl, and he couldn't help but think back to all those years ago before diana introduced the two to one another, the way the woman spoke about her daughter made jeffrey think she was a lost cause, that was the furthest thing from the truth, and jeffrey realized that as soon as he met the blonde. when everyone else gave up on her, when all those men jumped ship when they were given the information about margo, jeffrey could never understand why. sure margo was a handful at some points, but she always just needed a push in the right direction, and jeffrey was so grateful to be the one to give it to her.

it's margo's junior year in college when jeffrey posts photos alongside a dark haired woman, she has on a long sleeve, white lace dress and it's clear to see that she's pregnant. margo stares at them for longer than she would like to admit, she can't help but smile at the pictures, she knew how badly jeffrey wanted to be a dad, she's more than happy for him. though she knows jeffrey and diana never divorced, the two had no interest in ever being in the same room with one another ever again, so it just never happened. margo wouldn't be surprised if papers ended up in her mother's mailbox— and yes, she still lived in jeffrey's old home.

it was safe to say margo and jeffrey wouldn't ever speak again, nothing tied them together for either of them to make an excuse, and they were both in their own relationships. jeffrey was right, margo would've regretted the decision if they had ran off with one another that night, the blonde almost laughed at the memory of how dramatic her sixteen year old self was. despite how much love she had — and still had for the man — she truly would've been throwing her life away. the woman jeffrey was with only could've been a couple years younger than him, and that was what he needed, not the twenty one year old margo was now looking at those photos.

margo was nowhere near ready for children nor marriage, and jeffrey was past being ready, they were at two completely different stages in life, and the blonde couldn't be more grateful for jeffrey using his head in the situation all those years ago and knowing that, she loved jeffrey and always would but she would've gotten herself stuck in a sticky situation. this truly did prove jeffrey knew what was best for the girl, he always did.

diana and margo never speak of jeffrey, it's truly immature of her mother to do, that after all these years she still can't handle the fact that jeffrey truly didn't care that she cheated on him, he only stuck around for margo. it was hard for margo, not having anyone to tell about her feelings or talk about jeffrey with. diana acts as if the man never existed despite living in his house.

diana went back to her old ways, continuing to date man after man, nothing ever longer than a month. not that margo cared anymore, she was an adult and moved out of the house, she was so thankful she didn't have to meet any of them or sit through anymore of those agonizing dinners. diana could do as she pleased, it didn't bother margo anymore, it was her future that she ruined by doing what she did to jeffrey, he was truly the one that got away.

and so the two lived their lives in separate states of the country, thousands of miles away from one another, completely different people than they were when they last saw each other. the one would always have a special place in the others heart, but jeffrey truly did make the best decision for them. he was right when he said that they wouldn't stay those people forever— especially margo. somehow along the road she grew to be independent, she didn't need anyone to make every little decision for her, she learned how to wipe her own tears and no longer be so emotionally dependent on others.

margo dug her head out from the clouds and jeffrey couldn't have been prouder of her.

the end:(( omg i love them so much but ya'll do know that it's literally impossible for them to have stayed together she was 16 and he was omg so old compared to her like 50-51 lmao like that could just never work but i love the relationship that they had and they'll always love each other so it kinda did have a happy ending they both ended up with other relationships so yay no one died alone <3