part xiv.

"You know the drill, Arthur

"You know the drill, Arthur." I smirk as I step out onto pavement. I turn to the driver who had opened my door and extend my clenched fist. 

He touches it with his own, white gloved fist, "I hope you enjoy the polo match, Miss Wynters." 

"Wait, you're not driving us?" I question, noticing a middle-aged man in a suit had exited the Fitzwilliam townhouse and was hurrying down the steps towards me. 

"Oh no, Augustus gave me the afternoon off to spend with my husband." Arthur smiles softly at me and I nod, "But I do hope you enjoy yourself." 

"I hope so too." I give him a tight-lipped smile, my nerves suddenly taking over again. 

The other man, who I'm assuming is a butler of sorts, had retrieved the white box and smaller white box from the trunk of the Rolls Royce and was carrying it inside for me. They held the dress and shoes Auggie was so kind enough to have bought me. 

"Just remember, you're not like the rest of them Miss Wynters." Arthur explains as he closes my door behind me and I step forward to give him space. I turn to him as he points at finger at me and grins, "And that makes you special." 

After saying goodbye to Arthur and watching him drive off, I spin on my heels and climb the concrete steps up to the large, black ornate door. I open it and softly step my converse-cladded feet inside. 

"Auggie?" I call out into the quiet house as I glance around, "I'm here...?" 

"Oh my god!" A female voice shrieks out as my eyes dart to the top of the stairs to see a young girl at the top. She had her arms up in the air and was dressed in a silk floral robe. Her black hair was in big purple rollers, "It's you!" 

I glance over my shoulder to see if she was talking to anyone else. Nope, it was just the door behind me. 

"It's...me?" I ask as I turn back around to see her hurrying down the stairs. Her fluffy pink sandals were hitting the steps as she raced towards me. 

"I'm Genevieve, Auggie's younger sister. But you can just call me Gen!" She exclaims happily as she meets me in the foyer and wraps her arms around me, "I've wanted to meet you for so long!" 

"Um...thanks?" I ask again for the umpteenth time. What? I was super confused by everything that was happening. 

"The pants to Auggie's suit weren't as fashionably cropped as he was expecting so he just raced out to get them tailored." Gen explains as she steps back with a bright smile, "So he put me in charge of getting you ready for the polo match!"  

"Jeez, it sounds like I'm the one playing." I scoff as Gen wraps her fingers around mine and begins hauling me up the stairs behind her. 

"You basically are. The effort the ladies put off the field is just as important as the effort the males put on the field." She explains as I follow behind her up the stairs, "Think of this like your debutante ball into the high society."