article | a series of unfortunate events

NETFLIX ANNOUNCES A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS TO BE RELEASED NEXT YEAR

earlier today, netflix released the exciting news that the book series by lemony snicket (pen name for author daniel handler) will become a netflix original!

unfortunately, not much has been announced. however, we DO know who has been casted as the four main characters - count olaf and the three baudelaire siblings.

tony award winner neil patrick harris has been casted as evil villain count olaf, a man so desperate for a fortune, he will do anything. the following picture was released on netflix's twitter account 30 minutes after the announcement.

and what of the three baudelaire children - violet, klaus and sunny? along with the reveal of nph as olaf, netflix gave a look as to who would play the iconic orphans

and what of the three baudelaire children - violet, klaus and sunny? along with the reveal of nph as olaf, netflix gave a look as to who would play the iconic orphans. take a look below.

[ REAL-LIFE BEST FRIENDS CARTIA KING AND SAM BROOKS ARE TO PLAY THE BROTHER-SISTER DUO, WITH PRESLEY SMITH SET TO PLAY THEIR BABY SISTER ]

king comes from a family of actors, with her father spencer king and molly king being household names. her younger brother, jordan, is also set to be in two upcoming roles - richie tozier in the remake of 'IT', and mike wheeler in netflix original 'stranger things'. her three sisters, heidi, charlotte and evie, have had minor roles in movies and tv shows, but are yet to portray a major character. this is cartia's first major role too, with smaller roles in shows such as 'supergirl' and 'difficult people'. it's also rumoured that she's to be in upcoming movie 'nine lives' starring kevin spacey, but nothing has been confirmed as of yet. it was also revealed just two days ago that king was the hidden soulmate of earth's mightiest heroes - the avengers! the news came as a shock, and you can see our article here.

this will be brooks' first appearance on screen, having never acted before. however, he and king have been best friends since the age of four, and it's been said that he's one of the family, so he's bound to have picked up the skills of acting.

presley smith is just 8 months old, and looks perfect for the role of young sunny baudelaire. she was pictured with king and brooks on their respective twitter accounts, though nobody understood what it was for. it seemed that the duo were teasing fans, not revealing any secrets but definitely giving hints.

king and brooks had a teasing conversation on twitter, which only now makes sense after the announcement.

ck: haha hi brother @sambrooks
sb: lmao wassup sister
ck: where's mother?
sb: dead.
ck: oh, that's unfortunate

knowing what we know now, it was a clever hint from the young actors, yet nobody would understand it and it's insinuations until now.

we approached both teenagers for an interview, and managed to score a couple of answers in an instagram groupchat with the pair! they explained that they were incredibly busy but would do as best as they could to pop in an drop some answers when and where they could

have you started filming yet?
ck: not yet, we don't start for three weeks. we've been challenged by neil [patrick harris] to read all the books in a week, so we've really been focused on that for the past day.
ah, i see. is that what your instagram post was about yesterday?
ck: yep! obviously sam's still in england right now, but we've had screen runs with presley and some photoshoots, but we've barely seen each other. i can't wait to spend time with him.
how about it that you're best friends and get casted as brother and sister?
sb: it's amazing! cartia told me about it and said they were holding auditions for klaus and violet, and as a joke we both sent in audition tapes. we must've done something right because we both got the main parts!
now, your characters are both young - fourteen and twelve - how are you going to play that off?
sb: that was a concern, actually. i'm 19, [car]tia is 18, so we're having to act a lot younger than we actually are.
ck: it's just really lucky we look a lot younger than we are, really. with some makeup and clothes, we've easily passed for younger teens. i think they've also upped the age of violet and klaus slightly, just to make it more believable
sb: snicket is one of the writers for it, and he said it was okay to do so, so that was sort of the green light for us to get the parts!

unfortunately they weren't able to answer any more questions, but we appreciate that they took the time out of their day to give us the replies they could.

we can't wait to see what netflix do with the series and who they cast as supporting characters. stay tuned for more!

[ the poster, released by netflix, harris, king and brooks ]

•••

i know the storylines of the release of the series and the irl release won't match up, and the ages make it a tad more unrealistic, but this has been in the plan since before i finalised how old the characters would be! i hope this is okay, i'll do my best to make it as realistic as possible :)

i hope you're all well, lovelies! x

"IF EVERYONE FOUGHT FIRE WITH FIRE, THE ENTIRE WORLD WOULD GO UP IN SMOKE"

-
violet baudelaire