real life | evie's birthday

21 DECEMBER 2016

"so rose, i don't think i've ever asked. when's your birthday?" steve asked as everyone sat in the living room of the king house.

"it's my birthday and you're asking about my cousins? wow, thank you steve." evie joked as she came back in. "and actually, you know it already."

"do i?" steve furrowed his brows. "it might've slipped my mind."

"remember the day before tmz leaked who i was, i had to meet piet at the end of the street to grab something on my way to a party? that was rose's birthday party."

"oh yeah, that was the first time we met you." steve reminisced. "the... 17th of september, right?"

"yeah! 17th of september 1991." rose smiled at him. "my birthday feels like so long ago."

at that, cartia walked back into the living room from the kitchen, carrying oscar with her as she walked. she put him down as he wiggled, wanting to go to one of the superheroes in the room. he ended up not going anywhere, instead he squealed as he was scooped up from behind into clint's arms as he walked to the couch.

"soup's on, won't be long." cartia announced as she blindly flopped onto the nearest person's lap, who turned out to be tony. she yawned as she leaned back into him and closed her eyes, finally able to relax for the first time all day.

"tired?" loki teased, looking at her knowingly.

"don't answer that." jordan interrupted. "i want nothing more than to never hear the answer to that question."

"answer it." brooks argued.

"...very tired." cartia replied to her soulmate cheekily, grinning when her younger brother groaned. her eyes hadn't opened, and she exaggerated her point by sinking further into tony, visibly comfortable.

before jordan could come up with a retort, their very pregnant mother walked through the living room entrance, heading straight for her pregnancy chair near the door.

"don't stop on my account." she laughed, settling right down into it.

"wouldn't dream of it. has dad finished packing your stuff?" cartia questioned, getting a nod from the man himself as he set the suitcases by the door.

"have you thought of any names?" bruce asked the couple.

"we have initials in mind, but no names to match it yet." spencer answered.

"you should go for the 'i' that isobel said, i think that goes." heidi said from her seat. molly just looked at her and winked, instantly giving away the answer without even talking.

the timer went off from the kitchen, making cartia sigh before pushing herself off of tony and going to the kitchen. the large group of people sat in a comfortable silence until the youngest person broke it.

"how many sleeps till christmas?" he asked clint, making him laugh.

"count with me. tonight, tomorrow, and then the next, and then on the..." he prompted.

"four!"

"on the fourth night, santa comes and gives you all the presents. i bet, he even knows to bring them all to the tower, santa knows everything!"

"that's so cool. i love father christmas."

"it must suck having a birthday so close to christmas." alexis says.

"it's not the best, but our family always has a system." rose explains. "we always buy each other at least one birthday and christmas present each month. that way we don't have month where we're spending more money than other months."

"that makes so much sense." alexis gasps. "also explains why you come home with christmas presents in june." she says to charlotte, who just winks in return.

"that's actually a very smart system." thor agrees. "i might start doing that."

"the best thing is having your birthday slap dab in the middle. my birthday is literally half way between any two christmases. it's awesome." cartia smiles as she comes back in. "oh, soup's ready when you guys wanna come in."

"only my daughter would prefer her 20th birthday to be spent with her family, eating a three course meal with soup for starters." spencer jokes, wrapping his arms around his daughter.

"is that everything?" tony asked when everyone was on the common floor.

"that's everything." spencer confirmed. "thank god the little man was asleep." they both looked towards the five year old in bucky's arms, out like a light.

"it's an honour to be able to spend the holidays with you all, we hope he enjoys what we got him."

"you didn't have to get him much!"

"nonsense! honorary little brother, and youngest avenger. he needs something." tony winked.

"do you want me to take him to his room?" bucky asked. "he already has stuff in there"

"that would be amazing, thank you bucky." molly replied.

"i'll come with," cartia said. "i wanna get changed back into my pjs anyway." she and bucky walked out, taking the small boy to his own room on the private floors.

while cartia was changing her brother into his pajamas, bucky sat on the small sofa and watched his soulmate with adoration in his eyes and a small smile on his face. he couldn't help but let his mind wander to the future, the possibility of the whole group being married, with kids of their own. how cartia could be changing their future child's clothes, or just being a beautiful mother in general.

"what are you thinking about?" she whispered to him.

"you." is all he said back. "come on, let's go get you some comfier clothes and go back downstairs. i think they're starting to break out tony's alcohol collection."

"oh my god i'd kill for a malibu and coke right now."

"now, now. don't be getting drunk." bucky teased. "you're not even legal here yet."

"well, i'm legal at home. not that that matters, we know how to party from 11. truly a fun experience."

"you look exhausted." is all bucky says in return.

"yeah... well, it's not my fault a super soldier and a god have the stamina and energy to go for hours, is it?" she laughs. "come on, i wanna put on a huge sweatshirt and get tipsy."

"as you wish, малышка"
{babygirl}

"you know, you should really teach me how to spell all this. i can only recognise some of it, but i can't spell it. who knows what you're teaching me to say."

"now where's the fun in that?" he smirked, pulling her into his room to change.

•••

so that worked out perfectly. i try and make everyone's birthday in the book correlate with a birthday of a person close to me, and i mentioned how evie met everyone else the day before the leak in one of the previous chapters, which also happened to be the 17th of september, which set it up perfectly!