[ 🍰²⁵ ] the beginning of the end.

yeonjun was sitting in the middle of soobin's bed, staring down at his hands. he mumbled something incoherently that soobin couldn't understand.

he climbed onto the bedding and sat down beside him. "what did you say?" soobin looked down at yeonjun's hands and saw the freshly-scraped skin.

yeonjun closed his hands and looked soobin in the eye. "what happened to your phone? you haven't answered me all this time."

soobin sighed. "a bunch of crazy stuff happened. i.. i told my mom about us and she threw a fit - and my phone out the window of the moving car."

yeonjun tried to maintain his composure, but the smile spread through his face before he could stop it. "no way; did she really? i'm.. i'm sorry."

"don't apologize, it wasn't your fault," soobin shrugged.

"no, i'm apologizing because she probably said a bunch of bad stuff and all i can focus on is the fact that you told her," yeonjun grinned.

soobin also smiled, "well, she didn't say much. she called me a bunch of insults and said she regretted birthing me, so that's all."

"oh no, are you kidding me? that's terrible," yeonjun shook his head. "are you okay?"

soobin nonchalantly threw an arm around yeonjun's shoulder.

"i don't know," he sighed with the weight of the world, "my mom threatened to divorce my dad and ran out on us, and then my dad opened up about something from his past, which was supposed to be the reason why my mom hates me so much? anyway, what's going on with you? wonwoo didn't try anything, did he?"

yeonjun held out his hands to soobin. "the note asked me to go to a hangout."

soobin grabbed his hands lightly, then looked warily at yeonjun. "the note that i told you you shouldn't read? that very specific note?"

yeonjun looked sheepishly at soobin. "i didn't think this would happen."

and yeonjun launched into the tale of what had happened a few hours ago.

soobin cursed and started to get up.

"where are you going?"

"i'm sick of that kid always coming after you," soobin commented angrily.

"oh, and what are you gonna do?" yeonjun was speaking with a teasing tone, but in reality, he was worried soobin would actually go and do something stupid.

luckily, yeonjun had said just the thing to make soobin pause and reconsider. "okay, i see your point," he frowned and lowered himself to the bed again. "but still, something has to change."

he once again took hold of yeonjun's hands, gingerly. "he could have done something bad to you."

"but he didn't," yeonjun reminded him. "everything was okay."

"maybe this time," soobin argued. "what's going to stop him from doing it again? can't we tell someone about it? we could tell your parents-"

"no," yeonjun cut him off. "they would never let me set foot out of the house if they found out."

"you have to tell them eventually," soobin pleaded, "come on, jun. i just don't want you to get hurt anymore."

"alright, fine, i'll tell them," yeonjun sighed, "later."

soobin smiled widely. "good."

||

the next day, yeonjun found himself sitting in an empty room, looking around nervously. no one had arrived for detention, and he didn't even see the school's principal, which he considered a good sign.