The Artist's Tree

When Helen walks into school he expects y/n to be waiting by the door to walk to class together. However, he is not. He is helping a student pick up papers, and showering them with compliments. Something about theater?

Helen waits patiently for y/n to get up, not bothering to help. It was y/n's fault, not his. Helen felt a bit weirded out by how much y/n was complimenting the male. Maybe it was to apologize? What a strange way to do so. Helen believes you should just say sorry and go on with your day. He thinks the guy is uncomfortable as well.

Helen would go on without y/n, but y/n has put something in Helen's bag before they departed yesterday. It was a small piece of paper that was labeled: "You found me!" With y/n's phone number on the back. What was Helen going to do with it? Give it back to its owner. He does not want it.

"See you later! Good morning, Helen!"

Helen blinks a few times. He notices that the boy y/n was helping is now gone and walking down the crowded hallways. Y/N takes the simple gesture as a good morning and smiles. Helen's hand is in a fist as he holds it out to y/n. Y/N gasps excitedly and fist-bumps Helen. Helen stares at him confused.

"No, open your hand." Helen said. Why would he want to fist-bump? Who does those anymore? He sticks the small, neatly folded, piece of paper into y/n's hand and begins to walk to class. Y/N unknowingly opened it and frowned.

"Helen! This is yours!" Y/N pouts. "No it isn't. That is yours." Helen says calmly. They walk into the classroom, their classmates ignoring y/n's bickering. They sit down and y/n has calmed down about the note.

"So, is that guy your new friend or something?" Helen asks. "Yeah! His name is Jonathan and I think you'd like him!" Y/N replies, his sadness quickly wiping away. Helen nods and takes out his sketchbook. He expects the usual today; y/n rambling about random and stupid things while he listens. Sometimes he blocks y/n out, but it usually doesn't work for long.

"Y/N. Why did you say it was okay to abuse your feelings?" Helen asks gently. Y/N shrugs. "I don't know. Heat of the moment, I guess. Carmelo is mean to me all the time, but I know he doesn't mean it." Y/N smiles. Helen does not know how y/n smiles all the time. He does not know how y/n manages to stay happy all the time. Helen does not understand why he would let him abuse and hurt his feelings like they were nothing. Y/N is not a toy.

"Saying such things," Helen shook his head. "What if I took your words to heart?"

Y/N gives a reassuring smile and gives Helen a gentle head pat, gently fluffing his already tangled hair. Helen does not remember the last time someone pat his head, and it feels quite nice. He also doesn't remember the last time he brushed his hair, and he wasn't going to do it anything soon. "I wouldn't mind," Y/N replies. Helen stares at y/n. What is he going on about? He wouldn't mind? That's crazy. "Actually, I take a bit of that back. I'd probably be a little hurt at first, but I'll get used to it."

"I think you are foolish." Helen says.

"I know." Y/N chuckles.

Lunch comes round and y/n is following Helen around like a dog on a leash. A dog who is very happy to be on a leash, strangly enough. Y/N wants to go with Helen to his secret tree. Helen doesn't mind much, but he thinks because y/n is so popular, him following Helen would bring a lot of attention. He is a bit worried.

"Hey, y/n!"

Judy suddenly comes jogging towards the two. Y/N hides his pained expression. He did not want to hang out with Judy today. He wanted to go with Helen. "Hey, Judy." Y/N smiles, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Come eat lunch with us!" She smiles, pointing over to her small group of friends. Maggie and Ban were talking, waiting patiently for Judy to bring y/n over. Any other day he'd accept, but today was different. Today he was going somewhere special.