Swing in Moods

On the way back home, Helen has noticed that y/n is in a better mood. "You're not mad anymore?" He asks and y/n nods. Helen feels a bit happier as well. "What were you mad about?"

Instead of answering, y/n stares. Helen is confused.

"What is Tom to you?" Y/N asks in a mumble, gently grabbing Helen's hand and pulling him away from the group. Helen raises an eyebrow in question. "Well, what else would he be? I consider him a good friend."

"A better friend then me?"

It goes silent for a moment, a minute, maybe an hour? Y/N isnt sure. He only knows that Helen's blue orbs that he adored so much spoke that he was very surprised.

"Do you feel jealousy towards Tom?" Helen asks, watching y/n immediately reject. Helen gently shakes his head at the teen. Y/N stumbled around and tripped over his own words, shaking his hands around as his cheeks filled with red from embarrassment. Helen only leaned in. He wasn't one for physical contact, but if it was with y/n, it was okay. He rested his head on y/n, who fell completely still out of shock. He stood there frozen as Helen wrapped his arms around him.

"Hey, listen you dummy. Tom and I were good friends, yes, but you'll always be my number one." Helen said, closing his eyes and smelling y/n's scent of mint and lemonade. Y/N hugged back, burying his face into Helen's messy, uncombed hair affectionately. They stood there for a minute or so, neither really wanting to part. Yet unfortunately, Helen soon pulled away. He reached up and patted y/n on the head before walking up to Tom and Jonathan, continuing to walk.

Y/N felt in first place again. He smugly looked at Tom, who rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. Y/N didn't know what Tom was planning, but it was obvious he needed to get out of the picture first. He refused to let that happen.

When the group parted, Jonathan walked with y/n back to his house. Jonathan thanked y/n for inviting him over, but y/n doesn't pay attention to it, saying it wasnt a big deal. Y/N looks around a moment before realizing his mother was still gone.

He wondered if she was gone forever.

Carmelo broke him from his thoughts. "I remember you! We went to the lake together!" Carmelo grinned. Jonathan nodded. "I'm glad you remember!" He said. Carmelo surprisingly got along well with Jonathan, engaging a conversation with him as y/n walked to his fathers room, telling the two he would take just a moment.

He found his father sitting on the bed looking at an old framed photo of their family. When they were happier. When she was less angry. He gently traced his fingers over his mothers face.

"Dad?" Y/N asked. His father jumped up from shock before setting the picture down beside him faced down, giving a small smile. "Hey there, buddy. What's up?"

"Is mom coming back?" Y/N asked softly, fiddling with the bandages on his fingers. His father stared for a moment, his small smile going down.

"Actually, she is. To collect her belongings... and soon we're going to have to fight for custody of you two. . ."

Y/N felt his breathe stop for a moment before he exhaled in a shaken manner. Custody. What if his mother took him away from his father? What if she hit him again? Hit Carmelo? What if he never see's his father again? What if-

His thoughts are stopped by his fathers warm, squishy arms. "Hey, hey, hey. It's okay.. it's okay. I won't let her take you.." He whispered soothingly. The hyperventilating boy calmed, closing his eyes as he hugged back. "Please.. I'm scared of her.." Y/N said, almost in a desperate, begging, tone. D/N gently kissed y/n's forehead. "How about I give you some money to go out with Jon and Carmelo? Get some ice cream or something and I'll text you when its over."

Y/N nodded and pulled away from his father looking up at him. He watched as d/n dug in his pocket and pulled out some money, placing it in y/n's bandages hands.

"Go have fun, kiddo."

~~~

Jonathan tells y/n how kind his father is while sitting down in a booth, proudly picked by Carmelo; who had pushed y/n in order to sit by the window. Y/N grunted and smacked the back of his brothers head, telling him not to be a fool in public before thanking Jon. "Well at least I got the window seat!" Carmelo grinned, feeling superior to his brother, who only rolled his eyes in response.

"Tell me what you're gonna order, dummy." Y/N said. "I'm not a dummy! And a chocolate milkshake with extra whipped cream!" Carmelo replied.

"We're here to buy ice cream, not a milkshake."

"I dont care."

Y/N shook his head and smiled a bit, looking over at Jonathan.

"So? How did it go?" Jonathan asked happily. Y/N raised an eyebrow. "How did what go?"

"Helen and you were hugging! That has to mean he still wants to be your friend, right?" Jonathan asked.

Y/N nodded excitedly, smiling smugly as he spoke. "He even said he liked me better than Tom, and that I will always be his number one."

Jonathan chuckled. "That's good! I'm so proud of you! Now I wonder if Helen is talking about it with him."

Y/N shook his head. "I doubt it. I didn't tell him what happened."

"What? Why not?" Jonathan asked. Carmelo sat confused, staring at the two. He had no idea who Tom was or what was going on.

"Because he wouldnt have believed me." Y/N let's out a sighs of frustration, shaking his head as Carmelo began to play with one of his hands, gently messing with his bandaged fingers out of boredom.

Jonathan is going to object but Carmelo interrupts. "Why do you have bandages on? You never told me."

So y/n explains what happens to his hands and Carmelo will have occasional comments throughout it.

Mid-storytelling their ice cream (and milkshake) arrive. Carmelo asks for the rest of the story but y/n tells him another time.

"So, what are you going to do about Tom?" Jonathan asked. Y/N gripped his ice cream bowl a little tighter, a forced smile on his face. "If he tries anything that involves ruining any of the groups friendship again,

I'll kill him. . ."