The Visitor

Helen and y/n were not alone when they sat at the tree. In fact, Helen was with someone else, chatting away with them as if they'd been friends for years.

It was Tom.

Y/N didn't know Tom knew about the secret tree.

"Hey, Helen! You left me back there!" Y/N chuckled awkwardly, but he was ignored. He stood there, twiddling with his fingers for a moment. Tom glanced at him, but ignored him. Y/N's stomach twisted. He did not trust Tom. "Uh, Helen?" He repeated.

He finally looked up. "Oh, y/n. This is Tom." Helen introduced. Tom gave a smile and a wave, but y/n knew the glance from earlier meant trouble. "You two seem to be getting along great. What were you talking about?" Y/N asks, sitting beside Helen. "Oh, just the time I rode my bike down the hill so fast I couldn't stop and hit Randy with it! He started screaming and crying and his gang couldn't catch up with me!" Tom laughed. Y/N snickered, that was pretty funny.

"Tom has great stories." Helen compliments, but Tom brushes it off. Through lunch, y/n felt more and more left out. He felt ignored and out of place. The two were having such a good time, it just didn't seem right for him. He could only listen. Tom would always interrupt him.

Finally, he stood up and began walking away. "Where are you going, y/n?" Helen asks. "I think I'll spend the rest of lunch with Jon." Y/N smiles, giving a small wave. Helen gives a small nod, watching him leave.

"Hey, are you listening?"

"Oh, sorry."

XXX

"So you think Tom is bad news because Helen is making more friends?" Jonathan asks, taking a bite of his sandwich. "I didn't say that! I'm telling you, he glanced at me and refused to acknowledge my presence, then kept interrupting me, not giving me a chance to speak!" Y/N huffed crossing his arms.

"That's probably because they met today, and want to get to know one another more." Jon replies, looking at Emra for her opinion. "I think Jon is right. You're just overthinking everything. You're not used to him being so social and not spending every moment with you yet." She states, patting y/n's back with a reassuring smile.

"Yeah, you're right," y/n agrees, "but I also wanted to talk about something serious with Helen. He ruined my plans."

"A serious topic? You're never serious, y/n." Jonsthan says, his calm expression turning a bit stern. "What was it about?"

"I think someone is bullying Helen."

Jonathan hums, taking another bite of his lunch. "And what makes you think that?"

"He had forming bruises. Everywhere. He said he fell down the stairs, but my gut is telling me that isnt true." Y/n explained, fiddling with his fingers. "Hmm, that is strange." Jonathan nodded. "I tried to ask him before, tried to tell him I'd beat them up for him, but he got even more scared. He was about to tell me something, about to beg for me not to do something, when the nurse came in." Y/N explained, Jonathan listening closely to each word.

Jonathan pats his shoulder with a small nod. "Give him time. He'll open up to you. You're his best friend. He trusts you the most out of anyone."

Y/N gives a small smile. "Yeah, you're right! I'm just being paranoid. Thanks guys." He smiles. He thinks he wants to go back to Helen, but changes his mind due to Tom. Tom is there and does not want Helen to notice y/n.

Yet the discussion and lunch with Jonathan seemed to make him forget about all of that. Jonathan helped him a lot and y/n knew they were becoming closer friends. Jonathan invited y/n to his stage play, the classic Romeo and Juliet. Y/N was very excited, and knew he'd invite Helen to the event.

The next day, y/n invites y/n to the play. "No." Helen replies, the usual response. Y/N smiled. "Great! I'll pick you up soon, okay?"

"Y/N, I'm serious this time. No."

Y/N looks up at him. "Hm? Why not? Are you going to a different event today?"

"No. I mean- yes."

Y/N giggles. "Stop joking around, Helen. I think Jon said it was around 7:30. I'll pi-"

"No. I said no."

"You're not busy, right? You said you weren't busy."

"I just remembered I am busy. Very busy."

"What did I do? Did I do something wrong? I'm sorry, Helen."

"No. You didn't- just- look, I'm hanging out with Tom today."

Y/N stared. Tom? He turned to Tom, who sat across the room. Tom seemed to look away, which made y/n suspicious. It was as if he was staring, trying to listen in on their conversation. Y/N disliked the idea of Helen being alone with this spy. He hasn't even found Tom's motive yet!

"Well, uhm.. What if all three of us go together?" YN suggested.

"I like that idea, actually. I'll ask him." Helen hummed, bringing his attention back to his drawing.

And that was final.