EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT:
Time Capsules In Time

Jeongukk took a bite of his chicken sandwich, rolling his eyes as he saw Yugyeom flip him off from across the cafeteria. He was about to do the same, maybe mouth some swear words—but then Taehyung and Jimin were sitting down in front of him. He guessed that the blonde got lucky.

"Hey, coconut head." Jimin greeted, dropping a large box in front of him. "Had fun looking like a loner while we were gone?" 

"Best moments of my life. Wouldn't trade it for the world." Jeongukk said sarcastically, pulling the box into the seat next to him. "I'm guessing the line wasn't too long."

Sometime near the beginning of freshman year, their school had decided to make them start time capsules that they would turn in by the end of the year. They all got messages this year that they would be receiving them back.

"Nope!" Taehyung answered, taking a sip of the vitamin water he had recently bought from the vending machine. "Apparently everyone's in the auditorium for the play."

Jeongguk nodded, taking another bite. "Sounds fun."
Abruptly, Taehyung sat up straighter in his seat. "Oh my gosh, you should have signed up!"

The brunette shook his head. "No, I don't think that would be a good idea. I'm not much of a singer." Jeongukk laughed awkwardly. Jimin and Taehyung exchanged looks of disapproval.

"You're such a liar." Jimin threw a French fry at him. "We aren't deaf. You don't sing very quietly in the shower, you know."

Jeongukk shook his head in irritation. "Whatever—don't waste French fries." He quickly changed the subject, but the others let it go.

A silence fell over the table, along with soft chewing sounds.

"So, should we open our time capsules then?" Jimin questioned running his pointer finger along the tape that sealed the edges of his large box. Taehyung swallowed the most recent bite of sandwich that he took, placing his hand over his mouth and nodding aggressively.

"Do it!" He clapped. "I'm curious."

Jimin nodded, wiggling his eyebrows. Then he dug into his backpack, pulled out his pencil case, and slipped out a small scissors.

The box was opened in a minute or two, and Taehyung waited in anticipation.

"Let's see what's in this huge box, hm?" Jimin rubbed his hands together. When he pulled out another tiny box, he expected there to be other objects in it as well. However, that was it.

"Huh." Jimin furrowed his eyebrows in slight dissatisfaction. Taehyung blinked.

"Well, that explains why the box was so light." He sunk back into his seat, placing the box onto the ground. "It's nice to see that you haven't changed." Jeongukk blurted, Jimin narrowing his eyes in response.

"Relax." Taehyung told the both of them. "Open it at least." Taehyung encouraged him, nudging his side.

"I guess so." Jimin attempted to rip the miniature box open. "But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it is a note that has 'hi' written on it."

Once the tape tore off, he pulled the object out. Just as he suspected, it was a peace of ripped paper with the words 'hi' written on it in green ink. Jimin paused, dropping the object onto the table abruptly.

"Wow—you really haven't changed much." Taehyung raised his eyebrows, dodging another French fry that the boy threw. "Open yours—" he glared.

Taehyung giggled, grabbing onto the purple box that he had resting on his lap. "Okay." He pulled on the decorative ribbon that graced the top, smiling as Jimin complemented how extra it was.

Finally, he opened the top. At first glance, he squealed upon seeing a picture of the three of them. "Oh my gosh!" He flew a hand over his mouth.

It was a photograph of them in Jimin's kitchen, covered in flour. He and Jimin had attempted to make baked goods, and it ended terribly. By the time Jeongukk arrived to help, the damage had already been done.

Long story short, Jimin's mom made them take a picture to shame them.

Why Taehyung put it in his box—who knows.

"Ew, what the hell is that?" Jeongukk made a face, turning the picture away from his face when Taehyung showed it.

"Are you talking about your outfit or the flour all over our clothes?" Taehyung stifled a laugh, watching Jeongukk take a bite of his food while looking rather disgusted.

"I'm talking about my face—I can't believe that picture exists. We should burn it."

Jimin points a finger at him. "I agree."

"Oh shut up, it's for memories." Taehyung rolls his eyes, pushing it to the side. He ignores their mumbled comments, finding the picture quite cute. The three of them had gone through a few changes each, but they were for the most part the same.

For the next item, Taehyung pulled out a small tin box. In it were a few miscellaneous objects, such as movie tickets, a key chain that he had used throughout middle school, a five dollar bill, and one other thing. He hadn't looked at it as he took it out, submerged in what Jimin was saying about how he had knocked out before he could eat dinner the night before and was upset about how his family failed to save him anything.

"Honestly Jimin, your baby brother is growing. Let him eat." Taehyung replied, as the other looked at him with an offended expression. "I'm growing too!"

"Are you sure?" Jeongukk chimed in, causing Jimin to turn his attention towards the brunette instead. They began arguing as usual, and Taehyung was about to get them to stop. However, he looked down at what he was holding.

He froze, although his hands began to shake. He couldn't look away no matter how hard he tried to. His breathing got harder, and his surroundings blurred out. He couldn't see anything. Anything besides the object in front of him.

..

I was supposed to make the flashback a part of this chapter but the chapter became waaay too long 😂

Anyways, you'll find out why Taehyung's so traumatized.

+ I'll probably update the next chapter by tonight. First time I'll ever double update. 💀

—Cal