Chapter 1

Five scrolls fly through my window and settle on my desk. I get up from my bed and walk over to my desk, examining the scrolls. I grab them into my arms and put them on my bed. I sit down and pick one up from the pile.
This one is from Acid, one of the young royalty of the Poison Kingdom. I take the scroll and open it, reading and smiling as I see that they are willing to help. I set their scroll back down, and pick up one of the others from the pile.
This one is a little scorched on the edges and I can already tell it is from Kindle, a warrior from the Fire Kingdom. I open the scroll and she that she agrees to come with us and that she will be waiting for a reply on when and where to meet up.
I set it down and pick up another one, seeing it to be a perfectly clean scroll. I open it and find that it's from Ebony, from the Night Kingdom. I'm surprised when he agrees to come with us, as most people from the Night Kingdom would refuse to help someone from another kingdom.
There's a light blue scroll sitting on my pillow and I pick it up and open it. Waves, from the Water Kingdom says she's excited to go on the journey and that she already is ready to go.
I pick up the last scroll and unroll it. The words look a lot nicer than they do on the other scrolls. Tornado, from the Wind Kingdom says he's ready to go on the journey when we are.
I close the scroll and lean back against my headrest. I sit on my bed for a while, staring at the wall and trying to think of a reply when I hear a knock on my bedroom door.
"One second!" I yell to the person outside my door as I frantically shove the scrolls under my bed. I smooth out my hair and walk to the door, opening it and looking into the hallway.
"Dinner is ready Carbon," my mother says. I nod and follow her out of my bedroom and to the dining room. The rest of my family is already sitting down at the table, waiting for me and my mother.
I apologize and sit down. Everyone starts eating and I take small bites of the food off my plate. I look around the table and realize that this is probably the last time that I'm going to eat with my family.
"Those kids don't matter. It's only a few anyways," my aunt says from the head of the table. She's the Queen of the Earth Kingdom and she's done nothing to figure out what's happening to those kids.
That's why I wrote to people of different kingdoms who could help me figure out what is happening to them. I'm going to send out a scroll tonight for them to be in the forest by dawn.
My family doesn't know I'm leaving but I'm keeping it that way. They wouldn't let me go if I told them anyways. My aunt keeps talking about how the kids aren't important, most likely for the scribe who is sitting in the corner, writing down what she says for one of the daily newspapers.
I push my half eaten plate away and walk away from the table as calmly as I can. I really want to hit her for saying that the kid's lives aren't important but I know that everyone agrees with her.
None of the kingdom's have takes any action towards figuring out what's happening to those kids. Most turn a blind eye and the others laugh about it.
I walk back to my bedroom and close the door. I lock it and make sure it's shut before writing on scrolls, the meeting place and time. I swirl my hand around the scrolls and they all fly out my window and to the kingdoms.
I walk over to my bookshelf and take out a book, lying down on my couch and reading it. It's a tale about a dragon who saves the princess, who is being kidnapped by the knight. 
A few chapters into my book I hear a knock on my door. I sign and walk over, opening it. My mother stands there with a tray of fruit. She walks in and sets it down on my bed.
"I noticed you didn't eat much at dinner," she says, sitting down on my bed. I sit down next to her, feeling guilty that I can't tell her about the whole thing. I know that it's going to read her apart when she realizes that I'm gone.
"Hey mom?" I say. She looks up at me and I wrap my arms around her, gripping onto her blouse. She freezes but then hugs me back after a second, not used to me hugging her.
"I love you," I mumble again her shirt. She runs her hand through my hair and tells me that she loves me too. I pull back and we talk for a while, her wanting to hear how the book is so she can read it afterwards.
I make a mental note to leave her a scroll that tells her what she can have it my items. It gets late and she kisses my forehead before walking out with the now empty platter.
She closes my door softly and I get up from my bed a minute later, pulling my bag out from under it. I check and double check my stuff, making sure that I have enough money. I have the different ones for each kingdom, as we are going to be traveling through all of them.
I lie back and finish my book, writing down on a scroll that it was good. I tell my mom that she can have it and anything else she wants out of my bedroom.
I set the scroll down on my desk and take one last look around my bedroom. I quickly walk over and grab a sword off my wall, putting it in my sheath.
I sling my backpack over my shoulder and walk over to my window, throwing it open and feeling the night air wash across my face.