4

Onika POV

"That concludes our lessons for today," I said closing my Physics book.

I looked at Amethyst and she smiled at me.

"See you tomorrow then Nicki," she said all jolly.

In all my years of teaching, I've never seen such zeal in any of my students. Amethyst has so much energy, it brings the whole room alive.

"I'll show you out," Amethyst said as she helped me pack up.

Their house is really huge. I've worked with children born into rich and famous families but I've never come across such a huge house before.

"Remember to write that Math homework," I said as I walked out the front door.

"Don't worry Nicki, I'll do it," Amethyst said excitedly as she held my door.

I got out and went straight to my Mercedes. I got inside and immediately connected my phone to the car Bluetooth and called my mother. She picked up on the third ring.

"Hey baby," she said.

"Hey mama, I just got off work so I'm coming to pick up Ava."

Ava is my two year old daughter. She's my everything and I can't imagine my life without my baby girl. Ava's father ain't in the picture because he said he doesn't want anything to do with Ava and that she's a 'one night stand gone wrong'. I agree that Ava was conceived because I had that one night stand with my male acquaintance but I will never allow anyone to call my baby a mistake.

I finally made it to my mom's place. I knocked on the door and I heard footsteps hurtling towards the door.

"Hey Onika," Phil said as he opened the door.

Phil is my stepfather. My real dad passed away a couple of years back in a car accident. My mother got remarried and I'm happy that she found someone else in her life.

"Hey Phil," I said cheerfully as I pulled him into a hug. "Where's my baby girl?" I asked breaking the hug and entering the house.

"Mommy," I heard a tiny voice followed by tiny footsteps. Ava came running to me with her arms out and a smile on her face.

"My baby," I said picking her up and adjusting her on my hip. I started kissing her cheek. "How's my Ava?"

"Fine and..." She then started rambling and speaking all that baby talk which was just so cute. From the sound of things, she had an awesome day with her grandparents.

We then went to the kitchen where I was greeted with the sweet aroma of food. I'm guessing mama was preparing dinner.

"Whatever you're cooking, we're staying for dinner," I said making myself comfortable on the kitchen chair with my mom on the stove. Ava was seated on my lap.

"Like mother like daughter. Ava said the same thing," mom said. "Don't worry, I made enough food for-"

"Food? Where?" Ava said as she cocked her head up and started looking around.

My mom and I busted out laughing. "You are my daughter. We both react when we hear the word 'food' being called out," I said as I slightly pinched Ava's chubby cheek.

I put Ava down and helped my mom finish making dinner.

"Ava, can you please say grace," mom said as we all were seated in the dinner table and Ava nodded. "Let's bow our heads."

Ava cleared her throat. "Grace," she said.

I chuckled as I raised my head and looked at her. "She meant pray for the food baby not say the word 'Grace' baby," I said.

"Ooooooohhh," she said. "Tank you Lord for yummy food and bless hands that mweade it-... ajfmwus eleventeen Amen," she said.

"Amen," we all said even though we didn't hear what she said in the last part.

I'll go for my mom's cooking any day. I just love being around those I love and cherish.

"Claire came today and asked me if you've gotten the invite?" Mom asked as she took a spoonful of greens from her plate.

I nodded. "Yes, I got it ma."

My mother has a number of boutiques around the country. Claire is actually mom's favourite client. She's like a family friend now. Since Claire's boyfriend isn't into award ceremonies, she decided to invite me to the VMAs.

"She also sent me the picture of the outfit I'm going to wear. All expenses paid," I said smiling.

"Don't have too much fun there. I don't want my grandbaby seeing her mother wasted," Phil said.

I chuckled. "Don't worry, I'm a responsible drinker."

We continued talking and just filling each other on our day. I helped my mom clear the table.

"How's Amethyst doing?" Mom asked as I washed the dishes.

I tell my mom everything about my work. She knows that my current student is Amethyst Knowles.

"I love that girl's energy. She's so friendly and humble... She also has a fine ass big sister," I said that last bit under my breath as I bit my bottom lip.

"Excuse you but you went there to teach not to look at someone else's sister," mom said slightly pinching my cheek.

"I tell it like it is ma. Beyonce is cute," I admitted.

"Okay fine, Beyonce is cute, I get it. In other news, are you planning on going back to teaching in actual schools and not this online teaching?"

When I was still pregnant with Ava, I switched and I went for online teaching instead because its more flexible. I would be at home while taking care of my baby. When Ava was one, I also went for teaching home school.

"I will go back. I'll just have to wait for Ava to maybe get to elementary school first then I'll go back to teaching in schools again," I said after I thought long and hard about it.

"Just you know, I'll support you in whatever you choose baby," mom said then she kissed my cheek.

"Thank you," I said.

"You welcome," I heard a tiny voice followed by a cute giggle.

I turned and saw that it was Ava. "You are so noisy you naughty little girl."

She smiled at me. "Nose," she said pointing at her tiny nose which made me laugh. She then started rubbing her eyes. "Mommy, I sleepy."

"I'm almost done with the dishes baby girl then we'll go home and sleep okay?"

"Okie dokie mommy," she said and Phil picked her up.