11

Onika POV

"The War of 1812 had a pretty weird ending," Amethyst said as she closed her History textbook. "I blame adults. No offense but y'all adults are the reason we had these wars."

I chuckled at her comment and I went over and sat next to her. "True but I specifically blame men for all the wars."

She scrunched up her face. "Why men though?"

"Men are the ones who are mostly in charge in the world. Whenever they get into a disagreement with each other, their immediate reaction is to fight hence wars. On the other hand, If women rule the world there would be no wars, just a bunch of countries not talking to each other," I explained.

She busted out laughing. "Everybody wants to rule the world," she sang. "Nicki," she said in her baby voice.

"Yes Miss Knowles," I answered knowing that she wants to ask me for something.

"Can we please take a break? I'm hungry," she said rubbing her stomach.

I sighed then I looked at the time. "Fine. Let's go have something to eat."

She immediately jumped out of her seat and rushed out the door. I shook my head as I watched her trip. "Stupid floor," I heard her.

I went to my car to get my lunch bag and joined Amethyst in the kitchen.

"Are your-"

"My parents are not around," Amethyst interjected. "Why do you always ask me that question?"

I sighed. "As a mother I'm a little bit concerned. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my child alone in such a huge mansion. It aight safe."

Amethyst chuckled. "Don't worry about me okay? I'm alright because there are a number of alarms around the house and CCTV cameras. Look," she said taking out her phone. "My phone is connected to CCTV cameras outside and alerts me when someone gets inside the the yard."

I'm still not satisfied with all of that. I'm still worried about her safety.

"What if someone tries to break in. Then what?" I asked.

"The house has a number of secret tunnels that lead to a lair in the basement. I can take cover there. Don't worry Nicki, I'm alright," she assured me. "Excuse me, I gotta go tinkle."

I watched her get up from her seat and she walked away.

"Shoot," I said as I lost my grip on my carrot stick and it fell on the floor. I got up and went to take a paper towel then I went over and picked it up from the floor. I discarded it in the trash then I went over to the sink and washed my hands.

"Hey Nika," I heard followed by hands being wrapped around my waist. "You look ravishing," Bey said kissing my neck.

I giggled as I tilted my head. "Stop it Bey," I said. I finally turned my body and faced her. "Get away before Amethyst finds us here."

She sucked her teeth and just pulled me closer using my waist. "Don't be scared. Even if she sees us, she ain't gonna say nothing to nobody. I'll make sure of it," she said then she pecked my lips.

"Uh-uh, you gonna threaten Amethyst? I can't have that."

"Relax Nika, its a sibling thing. If she sees us then imma dig up some dirt on her just so she can keep her little mouth shut," she said innocently.

I heard footsteps hurtling towards us. "Bey, let me go. Amethyst is coming," I semi yelled as I squirmed in her grip but she held me tighter. "Stop it Bey."