14

Amethyst POV

Today Nicki decided that we should take our learning outside the home library which was a huge relief because being cooped all day in that darn library can be suffocating.

She took me to the museum for our History lesson and now we are at a science fair for my Science subjects. The science fair was held in the same high school she used to teach before she had Ava.

"Let's go to that booth, it looks interesting," I said. I didn't wait for Nicki to respond, I just dragged her to the booth.

We got there and there was this boy who was busy explaining his project. It looked like a simple train set but when he explained how its powered, it sounded complicated. I wasn't really paying attention because I was just fascinated by the train set alone.

"This is so cool. How did you even come up with this?" I asked the boy.

"My dad was cleaning up the attic and that's when I came across the train set and I was like, let me try and use it for my science project," he said smiling. "I'm Anthony Brown," he said extending his hand.

"Amethyst Knowles. Pleased to meet you Anthony," I said shaking his hand.

"Pleasure is all mine queen," he said warmly. "Are you home schooled?"

I nodded. "Yah, my tutor brought me here. Just a change of scenery."

We talked for a while and must I say, when I go back to school I wanna come back to this private school. It sounded so amusing.

"Amethyst, we have about 45 minutes here and we're leaving," Nicki said approaching me.

"Okay. Nicki I'll like you to meet-"

"Anthony Brown. How have you been doing?" Nicki said as she walked pass me and went to hug Anthony.

"So you're just gonna steal a bitch's thunder like that?" I said under my breath as Anthony and Nicki embraced.

"I haven't seen you for some time Miss Maraj," Anthony said breaking the hug.

"How y'all know each other?" I said, crossing my arms.

"Don't sass me now child," Nicki warned which startled me and changed my whole demeanour. She kinda scared me. "I know Anthony from years back when he was in middle school. I used to couch him and some of his colleagues on how to make their science projects and enter them in this high school science fair," she said.

Impressive. Anthony must be really smart to have competed with the big kids.

"Miss Maraj helped us a lot but last I saw her was when she was pregnant," he said.

"I teach home school and online lessons," Nicki said.

We continued enjoying the science fair. I also can't wait to mingle with my peers next school year.

I finally got tired of walking around like I'm in some sort of wild goose chase, I decided to go look for Nicki.

"Hey babe...Amethyst and I are about to leave...Don't worry yourself, Amethyst was just a sweetheart and I like her energy...Miss you too baby. Bye," she said and she hung up.

I didn't know Nicki had a boyfriend.

"Ooooooouuuu, who's the lucky guy?" I said as I wiggled my eyebrows at Nicki.

"Oh my gosh!" Nicki yelped out in fright as I approached her. "Don't scare me like that," she said and she huffed out a breath of air.

"Sorry," I said. "I asked who's the lucky guy you're dating?"

She cleared her throat. "Why are you being so inquisitive? Let's get you home, I have to go somewhere," she said giving me a little nudge.

"Are you going to your BoYfWeNd?" I said innocently and she mushed out my face.

"Mind your own business child," she chuckled as we made it to her car.

***

My parents and I had just finished having dinner and now I'm with my mom in the master bedroom.

"Mama, can I tell you something?" I said as I sat on my parents bed. Mama came and sat next to me and started braiding my hair.

"Go on baby," she said warmly.

I've been holding this back for some time but I hope my parents are gonna welcome what I'm about to tell them.

"I want to-"

"Mama, I've got me this month's rent," Beyonce said barging in on us with an envelope in her hand. She came and plopped down next to mama.

Mama did the finishing touches on my braids and turned to Beyonce. "Why aren't you wearing any clothes Beyonce?" She said furrowing her eyebrows.

Bey looked down at herself and turned to mama looking puzzled. "What do you mean? I am wearing clothes mama," she defended herself.

Mama scoffed. "You call that oversized T-shirt and panties clothes?" She said. "I heard voices upstairs, were you with a guy?" Mama said smiling.

"Why would I-ewe. Just ewe," Beyonce said getting shivers. "I was with my girlfriend," she said.

Mama and I looked at each other for a brief moment then we both busted out laughing.

"She said she got a girlfriend," I said still laughing. "She trippin'," I said with tears streaming down my cheeks because of me laughing hysterically. My stomach even started hurting.

Dad walked in and gazed at us. "Why are you two laughing so hard?"

Mama caught her breath. "Get this hun. Beyonce has a girlfriend," she said and dad also busted out laughing. "Who's desperate enough to date her?"

"Like that's ever gonna happen," he said between laughs.

Let's be realistic here, 'Beyonce' and 'girlfriend' in the same sentence sounds a bit farfetched. Disney cartoons are more realistic than what she just said.

We all finally stopped laughing and I noticed that Beyonce was gone. Maybe she went to speak to her 'girlfriend'.

"What were you about to tell me baby before your comedian sister came in?" Mama said.

I took a deep breath. "I wanna go back to school," I said in one breath.

"I think that's a great idea baby," dad said and I let out a breath of relief.

"I agree with you on that one Matthew," mama said. "Amethyst is way too smart and she needs to be around children of her calibre. Besides, she's kinda young to have a career."

"Just like Hakeem, you've achieved a lot and I know you are gonna do well at school," mama said and she hugged me.

"Thank you," I said.

I then explained it to them which school I wanted to attend and they were on board.

I'm so glad they didn't take the news badly like when Beyonce broke it them that she dropped out of Yale University.