07 - Night surprise

Night has fallen on the island for a few hours and all the vikings and dragons were sound asleep. Hiccup too. He had dazed out on a bed made of logs and furs, next to Toothless, his father's diary on the face. Yet, as everything was still and silent, Toothless suddenly woke up by a presence near the tent.

He got up quickly, making his viking fall from the bed. Said viking ended up sprawled on the ground, half awake.

''Toothless, no... it's too early...''

But the dragon ignored him, he came outside and spotted the white silhouette sneaking between the tents and drakkars, getting away from the camp.

Lumiverse stopped and looked back at him, signing him to follow her. He did so by bouncing in an excited fashion, but since he was getting too loud she growled at him. He instantly quiet down and made his way to her, yet it was already too late. He had already woken up Hiccup. The viking got out of his tent, adjusting his belt while yawning. Then he noticed that it was still dark, and that there were white scales in the grass.

He hesitated, then looked where Joke had stayed with Lumivers, but he only found his husband and the Night Lights, piled up inside a box. Worried for the two missing dragons, he woke up his beloved.

''Joke ?'' He called while softly shaking him. ''Wake up, babe.''

''Hmm whatzit... ?'' He mumbled, opening his eyes tiredly.

''Our dragons are gone.''

''What ?!''

Joke jolted and hit his head on the edge of one box, making him shut up and clench his teeth while pressing his hands on his head. Hiccup felt bad for him, but his worry for the dragons was more pressing. Joke sat up while rubbing his head, asking what was happening.

''I think Lumiverse has fetch Toothless, they left together.'' Hiccup explained.

Joke rubbed his face again, this time in try to wake up properly, then looked towards the box of the hatchlings. He thought about it for a short moment, then his whole face changed as he got a revelation. Hiccup worried even more, until Joke suddenly beamed and grabbed his hands.

''I get it !'' He assured with energy but still in a whisper so he won't wake up anyone else.

Hiccup got puzzled by his reaction, really not understanding and just wanting his husband to explain it so himself could calm down.

''She's been weird for the past few days.'' He said, smiling as if it was not worrying.

''What do you mean ?''

Now, Hiccup was anxious.

''She's getting tired easily, she's irritable, she refuses me to touch her and sometimes even to come near her.''

''That doesn't sound like her, certainly not with you. She would not act like this with you.''

''I know, but remember it had already happened two years ago.''

Hiccup hesitated for a moment, searching in his memories. When he finally found out, he beamed just the same way as his husband, squeezing his hands too.

''You think she's gonna... ?''

''Come on, let's check this out.''

It was the only explanation, and it shook the young chief the same way it had happened the first time. Last time Lumiverse had acted like this, it was just before she had laid her eggs.

''Yeah, let's go.'' The viking smiled.

He took his husband's hand and helped him on his feet, then they went back to Hiccup's tent and followed the scales into the woods. If Toothless was shedding too, there were a lot more scales from Lumiverse – proving this egg theory – and they were more visible in the dark due to their hue.