18 - Endgame

The three dragon riders had to take a bit more time before heading back to New Berk. While the fierce warriors of the Bearclaws clan were readying their weapons, armors and war ships, Hiccup, Eret and Fishlegs ventured into the woods of the barbaric islands to seek for the inhabiting dragons. Despite the undoubted strength of a Rumplehorn, a Gronckle and a Night Fury, it was not enough to carry Scarlar's ships.

So the three riders needed a bit more time to find the dragons, reassure them and convince them to help. After all, wild dragons were not used to be harnessed and carry loads. It was only thanks to Toothless' Alpha title that the Changewings hord followed them.

Flying in a perfectly clear sky with a back wind helping them to travel faster, Hiccup looked back to their convoy. Seven ships, roughtly fifty warriors and about thirty Changewings had joined them. Despite the proudness of this gathering, Hiccup also felt ashamed to have forced these dragons. He vowed to release them once the battle was over.

Fishlegs spend a good half of the journey to apologize to his chief and friend for doubting about this mission, and complimenting him for the way he had convinced Scarlar to help. Hiccup had tried to stop him, amused, but Fishlegs had kept on the praises, simply adressing them to Eret, who exchanged a amused look with Hiccup.

Going back was way more easier than leaving New Berk since there was no more storm to slow them down, but it was still long for the homesick hearts of the berkians. Two days of traveling, one night to get some rest on the island they judged most comfortable for their camp, a diner to get to know Scarlar while giving him more details about the enemy they were about to fight against.

Scarlar had heard too about the Slaughterhouse, but he was far from knowing it was only a cover to exile the dragons to an underground world. Hiccup discovered the soft side of Scarlar was not only adressed to his daughter, but to his own clan and, somehow, to the dragons too. The man, under this image of dreadful hunter and warrior, had his own sensitivity.

Hiccup didn't doubt he would eventually join the alliance and forgive the dragons but, like Eret had told him, it would take some time. Joining the battle alonside dragon riders was surely a good way to help him get close to the winged creatures, starting with the ones carrying his army. The Changewings were all spread around the camp, like sentinels and bodyguards.

Where it was time to sleep, Hiccup wrapped himself under fur blankets and closed his eyes, picturing his return to home, and how he would be reunited with Joke. Six days had spent since they had left New Berk, a little less than a week, but it felt like months for Hiccup.

He pictured the slime frame of his husband near the west cliff, waiting for his return. He pictured his bright smile when he would see him, his blue eyes sparkling with joy. He pictured the young man running to take him in his arms while Toothless and Lumiverse would be reunited in the same affection, before the Night Lights would ruin their reunion with their endless energy.

It made him smile as sleep was slowly getting him.

''Soon, babe.'' He whispered to himself. ''I'll be back to you very soon.''

Then the wind blew gently on his face, a light caress which seemed promising to carry his words to the one they were adressed to.

* * *

A thick layer of grey clouds followed the convoy in the morning of the sixth day. They were only a few hours left from New Berk, yet the weather was so bad they doubted they could see the island in this fog. When a light rain started to pour from the sky, it irritated the dragons.

Toothless shook his head while grumbling. Hiccup bent forward and tried to wipe his friend's head, but it was helpless since the rain was still wetting him. Another violent headshake detered the viking from helping, but it felt odd. Toothless had never been very found of the rain, but never before did it had made him that grumpy. It seemed to tell something else, and it was proven right when Hiccup spotted Eret struggling with a pretty agitated Skullcrusher.