09 - Failed mission

The dragon riders came back in a shy dawn, the campement was drown in mist and chilly air. The dragons landed near the camp and were welcomed by a few vikings, including Gobber. All understood they were empty-handed.

''Thor almighty ! Guess we won't be needing this, then.'' He gestured to the cage he had crafted during the night.

Hiccup removed his helmet and sighed heavily, tired and thoughtful about what had happened.

''He was waiting for us. I led us right into his trap.''

''Yeah, nice work, chief.'' Tuffnut grumbled. ''Right, Ruff ?''

''Nice job, duh.'' She retorted.

''So what do we do, now ?'' Snotlout grunted, visibly out of patience.

Hiccup shook his head and tried to clear his mind. He sighed heavily, anguish taking control over him, fed by Kosmozis' voice ringing in his head. His heart was racing like crazy and even his voice started to tremble.

''I-I'll figure out, I just need a little time.''

He then walked away, leaving the group on spot. All of them looked at him, some with impatience, others with annoyment, others with worry.

Toothless followed him, bouncing next to him, trying to cheer him up, not to avail. Hiccup even made him a gesture to stop him. He dropped his helmet and kept on walking away, leaving his dragon concerned and confused, whining. Astrid felt bad for him, and she could picture what he was thinking. If they had obtain the proof Kosmozis was not going to do any harm to their dragons, they also were now certain he was never going to give up killing Joke. And now they finally knew why : just because he thought Elska and him were something not natural. This guy was not natural ! How could one be so untolerant ? He wasn't going to give up, nore could he be reasoned.

Thinking about her little brother, Astrid noticed he wasn't there. With all the protests he had made before their leaving, she was expecting him to be the first to welcome them back, even to have waited them here all along.

''Where is Joke ?'' She asked with concern.

She turned to the villagers, but didn't like the expressions on their face.

Several seemed troubled, some lowered their heads and others even averted their eyes from her. She faced them and clenched her fists, suddenly worried, she was about to repeat her question, yelling, when Gobber answered it.

''Arf, we got him to Goathi's. He sort of fainted this morning. Fell like a rock.''

''What ?!''

The young woman's shout was so loud it made the black-smith jump, his helmet falling from his head. Without hesitation, without waiting for further explanations, she ran towards the camp, closely followed by Elska.

Hiccup was getting deeper and deeper into his thoughts, thinking about a way to stop Kosmozis. The man had a fleet with him, and theses dragons they knew nothing about. All that they knew was that they were drugged to obedience, to the extend even the Alpha's call couldn't reach them.

They knew not enough about this foe, they didn't know if Kosmozis had other ressources, and it made a sickening anguish spread in Hiccup's mind and body : could he really protect Joke and Elska from this man ?

As he was starting to tear off his hair, Elska and Astrid rushed pass him, panicked. He worried about this, and even more so when Astrid called him out over her shoulder.

''Joke collapsed, Hiccup, hurry !''

Hearing this, the young viking chief followed them. He had troubles to run as fast as them because of his peg leg, but it didn't stopped him from getting to the former-healer's hutt.