16 - Gathering

Two days had elapsed since the departure of the dragon riders to gather the allies. They had decided to split in smaller groups so they could reach more clans in the same time.

Elska, Snotlout and Reekfrid were going towards the Dragon Edge to rally the Wingmaiden and the Defensors of the Wings.

Astrid, the twins and Loathfetor were going south-east, seeking for the Berserkers and the Meathead, their closest neighbors from former Berk.

Hiccup, Fishlegs and Eret were going to see if the first visit of L League to the Bearclaw had been enough to make them allies, and convince them to join in battle.

Everyone agreed for Hiccup to take care of this peculiar case since he was the most capable to changing minds. They had also agreed for Team A to remain on New Berk and protect it if needed.

Each team knew it was a time trial. Without the raiders to lead Kosmozis' men into false tracks, there would find New Berk more easily, so the dragon riders had to make sure to come back before their enemies.

Each of them was in a hurry and remained focus on their task, but those who have stayed on the fortress island, it was nothing but waiting, and it was the worst.

Despite of this, Joke kept himself busy. Helped by Gobber, Spitelout, Munch, Bucket and Goathi – in the limits of what the elder could still do – they were the village's management in the stead of their missing chief.

It was not easy because everyone was talking about Hiccup, using him as an excuse to complain if the tasks were not completed as efficiantly as if the young chief had done it, but they had to deal with it.

After all, the villagers didn't have the right to reproach the acting chiefs for not being used to this kind of duties. Only two of them were granted excuses. Gobber had to take care of his smithy too, and Joke being pregnant had to take it easy.

Surprisingly, once Joke was going to an house were they needed help, the vikings were already calmed down by just seeing him with his growing belly and the Light Fury who was now always by his side to keep an eye on him.

They were really thankful for the young man to scramble for them despite his condition, and it often filled them with guilt. Joke suspected it was the real reason why Gobber had made him in charge of smoothing the conflicts, not because he had the tact most vikings lacked.

Still, going from one part of the village to the other was getting really tiring on him. He still didn't complain about it. Lumiverse had took the habit to leave her hatchlings at the shed, under the good care of a Deadly Nadder couple, so she could accompany him everywhere.

Joke was really grateful for her to watch over him, and made her know that by stroking and thanking her everytime she was doing something for him. She was always walking by his side, she was stoping and waiting for him when she was getting too fast for him, she was cooing to him encouragingly when she was feeling him tire. Sometimes, she would even pushing obstacles out of his way, such as branches, boxes, even peebles he could hurt his feet on.

She really was pampering him all day long and, by sunset, she was walking him home, then coming back to her hatchlings to get them back to the cove. Joke used to find some time to visit them, he didn't like the idea to separate Lumiverse from them, and it reassured Gobber to see him take some break. Actually, the black-smith didn't like seing him work so hard in his condition. It was worrying him even if Goathi had promised to keep an eye on him.

Three days after the riders' leaving, the first team came back. Astrid, Loathfetor and the twins had recruited a lot of people. The Berserkers had send twenty of their finest riders, led by Heather herself, the clan chieftess, and also a good friend of Astrid.