15 - A chief protects his own

Hiccup woke up in a jolt, panting, covered in sweat, his heart racing like crazy. In his mind was still playing the nightmare he just had. Trying to calm down, he placed his hands on his face, wiping off the drops of sweat, pushing his hair off his wet forehead.

He breathed in and out, managing to convince himself what he had saw was not real, and it was confirmed when he felt someone move next to him in the bed.

Joke lifted his head with a grunt, eyes half-closed, grimacing as he was trying to open them. Hiccup looked at him turn around so he could face him, while is barely-awake voice spoke to him in a faint murmur.

''You okay, babe ?''

Despite the fact he was tired and had not enough energy, making him collaspe back on the bed and close his eyes again, the young man still put a chilly hand on his husband's arm. Hiccup smiled and bent so he could kiss his forehead.

''I'm fine, I just had a nightmare.''

''Must have been awful to wake you up like this. Wanna talk about it ?''

Hiccup couldn't find the strength to answer right away. Since he was now perfectly awake, next to the one he loved, he didn't really want to go back to his dreadful vision. He layed back on the bed and wrapped an arm around a topless Joke, waryly not puting weight to his already-bothering-enough-belly.

Squeezing his husband against his chest, burying his nose in his snowy hair so he could breath in his scent, he sighed with contempt. Even if he didn't speak, the silence was an answer.

''Kosmozis, isn't it ?'' Joke stated.

''Yes.'' Hiccup admitted. ''I dreamt he managed to reach you, and I just stayed there, completely helpless while he was killing you...''

When a sob escaped his throat, Hiccup buried his entire face in Joke's hair, and felt chilly arms wrap around him.

''It's not going to happen, love.''

''How can you be so sure ?''

Feeling anguish coming back in his heart, Hiccup felt the urge to see his lover's face to make sure he was still here with him. He broke the hug and cupped his face, looking at him dead in the eye despite the time of the night. The only light was coming from outside, from a very shy moon, but it was enough for their eyes accustomed to the dark.

''Don't tell me he would never find our island nor would reach it, we both know it's not true. It can happen tomorrow, or in ten years, it does will happen. And I can't stand it, Joke. I can't live with the fear he could hurt you.''

Joke froze hearing such confession. Hiccup thought he knew what was happening in his lover's head. Surely the white-haired young man wanted to answer something, wanted to reassure him, but didn't know what to say. Yet he got a completely different reaction as Joke frowned, he seemed scandalized.

''Is that all you worry about ? Aren't you worried about what he could do to the dragons ? About what he could do to our dragons and people if he comes here ?''

Hiccup was so abashed he could not find his words. Joke pushed his arms away and got up from the bed. He struggled a bit to straighten up because of the belly, then dressed with the long nightshirt he had left above the furs – the night hot flushes were the worst, forcing him to sleep naked, not that Hiccup would complain about it.

The young chief shook his head to clear his ideas, and quickly got up too. When he tried to reach his husband, Joke stepped back. The air was getting so thick they could have cut it with a knife. It was not usual to see Joke that serious, it only happened when it came to chieftain matters.