Portrait Tutorial: Sketch/Facial Proportions

So, someone has wanted this (not gonna name names, just know that im not exactly talking about you, greg) for a while now, and I have made it, for my tablet will be gone by tomorrow. Don't worry though, I will use my little sister's tablet for the other characters, so that situation is taken care of.

Now, let's get started.

So you want to draw a realistic portrait? Well you've come to an interesting place. I'll try my best to be as in depth as I can. If you have any questions, just holler and I'll get to you. Or maybe someone else will who knows.

Disclaimer: This is my personal method. If you don't like it, find your own. If you do, I'm happy to help! Also, if you're new to art and a part confuses you, you don't have to follow this entirely.

But let's get started. I will be demonstrating using Virgo's portrait (for the most part but not this one).

When it comes to realism, I cannot stress how much you need some kind of reference. Unless you practiced that one thing enough, or you're a god, you probably need a reference.

For these portraits, I go to Google and find a person. Is it awkward? Yes, but it's so necessary. From that reference, I usually sketch out the face. If you have trouble sketching, tracing is okay. It's not the best thing in the world to do, just as long as you change up enough to where it wont look exactly like the reference (such as hair or eye color/style).

If you are going to freehand, a basic understanding of facial proportions. Here's how I do it: (Note: this is not the best of my drawing. I had no reference and I didnt really try)

 I had no reference and I didnt really try)

Draw a circle/oval. It really doesn't matter how it looks. This will only serve as a base. If you struggle, there are circle tools, or you can set your brush size large, draw a dot, and set the eraser slightly smaller and erase the center.

 If you struggle, there are circle tools, or you can set your brush size large, draw a dot, and set the eraser slightly smaller and erase the center

Above is the diagram for the guideline that will help. The orange tells you where to place it, but if you missed it. You want to draw the first line halfway in between the top and bottom. The second line is halfway from the first line and bottom. The third line is halfway from the second line and bottom.