Portrait Tutorial: Eyes

This is the moment that sooo many people are obsessed with, and I understand why. The eyes are the focal point so they must be good, right? Yeah, they're pretty important.

Soo!!! I'll be discussing how exactly to make them pretty.

Note that this is my personal method for drawing eyes. Other people have other methods. Also, please do not be that kid that is sooo obsessed with drawing eyes so much that it happens all over your math homework omg like seriously you will cringe so hard at yourself in the future.

Though practice is important.

Okay back to eyes. First let's talk about the skin around a realistic eye because that is just as important (and its a good transition)

 First let's talk about the skin around a realistic eye because that is just as important (and its a good transition)

Sometimes, the iris can be distracting, so I drew only the skin. Looks kinda demonic, huh? I kept the values pretty blocky, just so we could see the features. Note that this is not how all eyes are shaded in, this is just one example. For that, consult your reference.. but here, you can clearly see the upper lid, lower lid, and eyebrow bone (I'll cover the eyebrow hairs later). And then, theres that patch of darkness right by the nose. It's almost always dark there, but like I said earlier, consult your reference. This is a pretty generic eye (for where I live, let me know if you want different style than American eyes).

This is pretty important, but only if you are achieving realism. If you are doing any other style, then it's really your call. I still think it is important to know though.

Alright, let's get to the fun stuff. The actual eyeball.

So earlier, we picked out two colors. For the outside part. Take the air brush, and softly go around the edges of the eyes. I like to use a pretty large brush and opacity of 50%. Then reduce the size so that it's substantial for the size of the eye (i use 5px) and make some deep outlines. And then, just blend out the outlines. It should look something like this in the end:

(Just gonna state now that the outside part and the iris are on two different clipping masks)

Here's the process of what I was talking about: