24

Sana had never been so relieved in all her life. She could feel her toes!

Tzuyu rushed to the hospital as soon as Mina called her, telling Jess to cancel the rest of her appointments for the day as she hurried out. Practically running up to the front desk, Tzuyu got directions to Sana off the man behind the counter and set off searching for her.

As she walked into the ward, she saw Sana sat on the edge of a hospital bed, her legs dangling over the edge as Mina sat in one of the chairs, talking to her. Sana looked up, almost as if she could sense Tzuyu's presence. Her face split into a smile, and Tzuyu's mirrored her expression as she rushed over to the bed.

Tzuyu sobbed as she pulled Sana into a tight hug, kissing her on top of her head. She drew back, cupping Sana's face as she smiled through her tears.

"I can feel my toes," Sana smiled widely, her eyes filled with tears.

"You can feel your toes," Tzuyu replied, laughing in disbelief.

---

It turned out the severe bruising and compressed spine that Sana had sustained to her lower back during the accident had caused temporarily paralysis as it struggled to repair itself. There was a very high chance that she would have never regained sensation below the waist, but by some miracle, she was one of the lucky few.

It was like a huge weight had been lifted off their shoulders. This was everything Sana had wished for since the accident. Her optimism came back full force as she vowed that she would walk again, no matter how long it took.

They upped Sana's physical therapy sessions to three days a week, making real progress with Sana's muscle strength and the sensation in her legs. Every morning Tzuyu took her to the pool, easing the pressure on Sana's joints as Tzuyu held her afloat.

It was another month before Sana wiggled her toes for the first time.

It was early on a Sunday morning, and Tzuyu was helping her get dressed. As she grabbed Sana's foot to put her sock on for her, her finger touched the bottom of Sana's big toe. It just so happened that Sana was ticklish, and her big toe twitched in response to Tzuyu's touch.

"Oh my God!" Tzuyu gasped, smiling up at Sana from where she was crouched in front of her, "you just moved your toe!"

"What?! No way!" Sana exclaimed, pushing herself up onto her elbows from where she lay on the bed. She could make out her feet in Tzuyu's lap, one hand gripping her heel as the other held the forgotten sock.

"Can you do it again?" Tzuyu asked, staring at Sana's feet in amazement.

Frowning in concentration, Sana willed her toes to move. Ever so slightly, she managed to wiggle two of them on her right foot.

"You did it!" Tzuyu clapped in excitement, rising from her crouch to lean forward and give Sana a kiss.

"You'll have to show everyone tonight!" Tzuyu smiled, her face filled with joy. She was so happy she felt like she could burst, Sana was really getting better

---

They were at Wonwoo's favourite pizza place that night, crowded around a table as they devoured three giant pizzas between the five of them.

"Hey, do you guys want to see something cool?" Sana asked, buzzing with excitement as she looked around at their faces. Tzuyu gave her a knowing smile, filled with her own happiness.

"What is it?" Chaeyoung asked, taking a bite out of her slice of pizza.

"Can you help me a second?" Sana asked Tzuyu, gesturing at her feet.