26 - last chapter

It was the middle of summer, two years to the day that Tzuyu first saw Sana.

Not the first day they met, but the first time Tzuyu had walked into the library and saw Sana stacking books between the shelves. Sana didn't know the significance of this day; she was oblivious as she sang loudly along with the radio as she drove.

Surprisingly she was a good singer, and Tzuyu smiled as she watched her behind the wheel. A few months ago Sana had got her license, finally overcoming the final barrier in her fear of cars.

The sun beat down on them as they left the city behind them. It was the middle of the day, and they had a long way to go.

"You're staring again," Sana stated, turning to face Tzuyu. Her glasses covered her eyes but Tzuyu knew they would be crinkling at the corners.

"I like staring at you," Tzuyu told her, lifting one of Sana's hands off the steering wheel and placing a kiss to the back of it. Sana rolled her eyes, smiling widely as she concentrated on the road.

"So when are you going to tell me where we're going?" Sana asked, raising an eyebrow and turning her head slightly in Tzuyu's direction.

"I'll tell you when we get there," Tzuyu smirked, taking in Sana's frustrated expression.

It was a surprise, something she had planned for Sana because she knew she would enjoy it, even if Tzuyu wouldn't.

---

It took them hours.

They drove through the desert, basking in the warmth of the sun as they chatted and Tzuyu listened to Sana sing whenever a song she liked came on.

Everything was right in the world, and neither of them wanted to be anywhere else. It was hard to imagine that two years ago, Tzuyu was scared of getting attached, of loving someone, and Sana couldn't talk and hadn't been able to overcome the trauma of her childhood. It seemed as if Tzuyu had been made to love Sana, to shower her with love and affection, and these days Sana would talk nonstop, filling every silence with her bubbly chatter. Tzuyu could hardly remember a life without Sana's voice in it.

By the time they got there Tzuyu suspected that she was three shades whiter, already dreading her decision. She was so scared, and maybe a little bit nervous as they pulled over where Tzuyu indicated. They got out, stretching their legs after sat in the car for so long.

"Now what?" Sana asked, gazing around at the featureless landscape. There were some gigantic rocks a hundred yards away, and a lot of sand, but besides that there was nothing.

"This way," Tzuyu said, holding her hand out for Sana to take.

The sun shone brightly on the horizon as Tzuyu led them towards the rocks; sunset was almost at hand. Out here it would be spectacular, nothing to interrupt the sight. None of the big city lights to hide the stars once night had fallen.

The rocks grew larger the closer they got, and with each step Tzuyu grew more nervous. She grasped tightly at Sana's hand, seeking comfort and reassurance. Sana would never let anything bad happen to her.

Up close the rocks were easily a hundred feet tall, casting giant shadows, which the welcomed after the blistering heat of the sun. Still, Tzuyu led them forwards, bringing them out the other side of the rocks.

Sana shaded her eyes against the sun, letting out a surprised gasp as she took in the view. A dozen yards away a man stood next to a half inflated hot air balloon, the source of Tzuyu's fear and anxiety.

"No way!" Sana squealed, throwing her arms around Tzuyu, who laughed as she hugged her back.

"Oh my God, I can't believe we're going in a hot air balloon," Sana laughed, bouncing with excitement, as she beamed at Tzuyu.