Chaper two

Two little hands and a head on her stomach are the reasons why Veronica wakes up. She opens her eyes slowly and is greeted by her son's hazel brown eyes. He has his hands on her cheeks and stares at her. She reaches down to the head on her stomach and starts to run her fingers through her daughter's red, wavy hair.

"Good morning mommy" Ben grins.

"Good morning Benny. What time is it?"

"It's almost 8 am"

Veronica groans and pulls her son into her arms.

"Mommy" he whines as he tries to free himself but Veronica holds him tightly. He wiggles around for a little while before he lies his head down on her chest.

"Emmy and I are bored"

"And mommy is tired"

"Can we watch tv?" her daughter asks as she sits up. She grabs Veronica's hand and plays with her fingers.

"Baby you know my rules"

"Pleeeease"

"Emmy no. You guys can go play. You have enough toys"

"Can you play with us?"

Veronica sights. She frees her hand from her daughter's and caresses her cheek.

"Mommy is really tired honey"

Emilia's expression changes. She pushes Veronica's hand away and crosses her arms in front of her chest. A few tears run down her cheeks. Veronica knows her daughter is overreacting. She has always been a little drama queen but it still breaks her heart to see her cry.

"Why don't you guys bring your toys in here. You can play here and mommy can sleep a little longer"

"Yes" Ben claps his hands before he crawls out of the bed and runs upstairs to his room. A couple minutes later he comes back with some of his and Emilia's toys. He throws them onto the bed before he climbs up himself.
Veronica turns to her side. She closes her eyes and tries to relax. She knows she won't be able to fall asleep with the giggles and little feet kicking her back but she doesn't really mind. She just wants her eyes closed for a few more minutes and her kids to be happy.

•••

After breakfast Aurelia helps her mother to clean up the kitchen while the twins sit on the floor in the living room and play.

"Emilia honey, can you please get your toys out of the bedroom"

"No!"

Veronica stops her movements and turns to her daughter. She slowly walks towards her with one eyebrow raised.

"What did you just say to me?"

"No"

"Emilia get your toys. Ben you too"

"If they are bothering you, you can bring them into our rooms"

"Emilia, you-"

"Lalalalalala" she sings. She's covering her ears and grinning widely.

"THAT'S IT!"

Emilia flinches and her happy expression is exchanged by a scared one.

"Go to your room. NOW! Ben you too"

"I didn't even to anything"

"I said now!"

"You're a meanie" Emilia yells with tears running down her cheeks before she runs into her room followed by her brother.
Veronica sinks to the floor. She's crying and holding on to herself.

"Mom?" Aurelia carefully asks.

"Can you please leave me alone for a second honey. I need to think"

Aurelia nods even though she knows her mother can't see it. She decides to walk upstairs and check on her siblings.
She walks into her sister's room and sees her hiding unter her blanket. Her brother sits next to her. There are some tears running down his cheeks too.

"Lia" he whines. He crawls over to her after she sat down on the edge of the bed. Emilia pulls the blanket away and reaches for her sister. Aurelia takes her into her arms and holds her close. Her sobs turn into quite sniffs after awhile.

"Why is mommy so mean?"

"Mommy isn't mean Emmy. She's just a little overwhelmed. Look, she has to go to work, cook dinner, clean up and make sure we're happy and all of that without dad. She misses him a lot and sometimes, especially when you two don't listen, she gets a little mad"

"I miss daddy too" she whispers and leans her head against her sister chest.
"Do you think mommy hates me now?"

"No sweetie. Mom will never ever hate any of us. Just apologize and promise to listen. Everything's fine, okay? Don't worry.

She nods. Aurelia sets her down but the little girl reaches for her hand.

"Can you come with me?"

"Sure"

She takes both of her siblings hands as they walk back to Veronica who meanwhile calmed down a little bit but still sits on the floor.

She hates herself for yelling at her daughter. She never did that before and she swore she would never do it. She just doesn't know what to do anymore. Aurelia is a big help but she's a teenager and spends more time with her friends than her family and that's okay. She wasn't any different. But the twins are a handful, she's always tired and there is more work every day. It never stops. All of that wouldn't even bother her so much if she wasn't alone. She could easily handle everything if Archie was here to kiss her cheek or tell her how beautiful she is or scratch her back in the evening but he's not and Veronica doesn't know how much longer she can keep going like this.

"Mommy?" a voice says and brings her back to reality.

"Emmy"

The little girl walks over to her slowly and wraps her arms around her neck. She lies her head down on her shoulder and starts crying again.

"I'm sorry mommy"

"It's okay baby. I'm sorry for yelling. Next time just please do what I say"

"I miss daddy" Emilia whispers while her arms wrap further around her mother.

"I miss him too baby. I miss him so much"

She kisses her daughter's forehead before she gets up with Emilia still in her arms.

"Mommy, can we play a video game?" Ben asks.

"Sure. Lia can you watch them? I wanna take a quick shower"

"Of course mom"

"Thanks honey. I don't know what I would do without you"

If only Veronica knew her beloved husband is already on his way back home and just a few minutes away.